Zelly Nguyễn

Học sinh chăm học
Thành viên
26 Tháng tám 2021
Hưng Yên
THCS Nam Hồng
[TẶNG BẠN] TRỌN BỘ Bí kíp học tốt 08 môn
Chắc suất Đại học top - Giữ chỗ ngay!!

ĐĂNG BÀI NGAY để cùng trao đổi với các thành viên siêu nhiệt tình & dễ thương trên diễn đàn.

You are going to read an article in which four graduates discuss going to university. For questions 1-10, choose from the graduates (A-D). The graduates may be chosen more than once.
Which graduate
A. Sonia.

While I was doing my physics degree people would often say I was acquiring skills I’d be able to use in my future career, even if I didn’t become a physicist. It sounded like nonsense to me: if I did another job in the end, what could be relevant about knowing what’s inside an atom or how to operate a laser? It turns out they were referring to the wealth of other skills you pick up along the way. Communication and problemsolving are just two of these. In contrast to the way you may have been taught before, university teaches you to be innovative and to think for yourself. Going to university is about more than just studying though! I got to make friends from all over the world and they have proved to be useful work contacts.

B. Jane.
I went to university because it was the career path expected by school, parents and classmates (to an extent) and also because I didn’t really have a clue about what other options were open to me. It’s difficult to know how things would have turned out if I hadn’t gone. I do know that the job I do ‘requires’ a degree to do it, though there must be alternative ways of developing these skills. The degree, like it or not, is the screening method used by large numbers of employers and as such opens certain doors. It’s certainly harder to get into all sorts of careers without a degree. The debates about university education typically revolve around routes into employment, yet for many the degree is barely relevant to the work we end up doing later on. It gives access to a certain type of career but the actual degree can often be of little practical value.

C. Lydia.
There is a lot of pressure on teenagers to know exactly what they want to do with their lives. As a high-achieving student at school, the alternatives to university didn’t really appeal to me. So I took up a place at a good university but ended up studying something I wasn’t sure I was interested in. Some people know what they want to do from a young age, and for those people, going to university straight out of school may be a great idea. However, many of us are very unsure of our future ambitions aged 18, and should therefore be given as many choices as possible, rather than being pushed into a degree course. Many of my friends went to university straight from school.

D. Bethany.
I don’t really remember making the decision to go to university. Everyone always assumed I would, even though I was never the most gifted academically. Someone asked me during my second year why 1 had gone, and I remember not being able to answer the question. Maybe it was the way I was raised? Maybe it was the school I went to? But university was the next step. I had a great time there, I must say. It’s so much more than the place you go to get a degree. You learn so many life skills that I would urge anyone to give the idea some thought. Since graduation I’ve had a string of jobs. University is an excellent decision for some, and may provide the right qualifications to start a career. But for others, going straight into a job is just as appropriate.
1.says people should be allowed to consider a range of options apart from university?
2.says that some people are expected to make important decisions before they are ready?
3.nitially rejected something she was told?
4.was unaware of the alternatives to university?
5.says that the type of learning at university is different from that at other institutions?
6.felt when she was a student that she might not be doing the right course?
7.says that some people discover that what is studied at university is not useful in the workplace?
8.was uncertain about her reasons for going to university?
9.says graduates have an advantage when applying for jobs?
10.was expected to go to university despite being a fairly average student at school?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Minh Nhí

Cựu Mod Tiếng Anh|Cựu Phó nhóm Tiếng Anh
Thành viên
Trưởng nhóm xuất sắc nhất 2017
18 Tháng mười một 2013
Top Bottom