hanh2002123

Cựu Phụ trách nhóm Anh | Cựu Mod Văn
Thành viên
3 Tháng một 2015
Bắc Giang
Trường Đại học Ngoại Ngữ - Đại học Quốc Gia Hà Nội
[TẶNG BẠN] TRỌN BỘ Bí kíp học tốt 08 môn
Chắc suất Đại học top - Giữ chỗ ngay!!

ĐĂNG BÀI NGAY để cùng trao đổi với các thành viên siêu nhiệt tình & dễ thương trên diễn đàn.

Hi guys!

We can see that most of today's formal written communication is via email. In my view, an email used for study/ work does not differ much from a formal letter in terms of implements. Btw, to help you "dress up" more formally for your outstanding formal letters as well as emails, I have created the topic (considered as killing two birds with one stone :>>) by following several different rules in writing a formal letter.

"Realization is better than understanding - John de Ruiter"

To begin with, let's tell the FORMAL VS. INFORMAL letter apart by the activity below.

Look at the different layouts and answer the following questions:

A
Dear Lily,
Love,
Margot
B
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Connelly,
Best Wishes,
Alberto Ponti
C
Dear Mr. Ford,
Yours sincerely,
Adam Clay
D
Dear Sir/ Madam
Yours faithfully,
Helen Keller
E
Dear Sirs,
Yours faithfully,
Jessica Jung
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Which are used to write a formal, semi-formal, or informal letter?
a, a formal letter:...
b, a semi-formal letter:...
c, an informal letter:...

Which one should you use to write a letter to:
d, someone you know but are not on intimate terms with:...
e, relatives:...
f, a company manager whose name you know:...
g, a company manager whose name you don't know:...
h, the authorities:...

(Coming soon...)

hanh2002123

Thành viên
3 Tháng một 2015
Bắc Giang
Halo mọi người,

Trước tiên mình sẽ công bố đáp án bài tập khởi động trên nhé!

A
Dear Lily,
Love,
Margot
B
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Connelly,
Best Wishes,
Alberto Ponti
C
Dear Mr. Ford,
Yours sincerely,
Adam Clay
D
Dear Sir/ Madam
Yours faithfully,
Helen Keller
E
Dear Sirs,
Yours faithfully,
Jessica Jung
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Which are used to write a formal, semi-formal, or informal letter?
a, a formal letter: D, E
b, a semi-formal letter: B, C
c, an informal letter: A

Which one should you use to write a letter to:
d, someone you know but are not on intimate terms with: semi-formal.
e, relatives: informal.
f, a company manager whose name you know: semi-formal/ formal.
g, a company manager whose name you don't know: formal.
h, the authorities: formal.

FORMAL VS. INFORMAL
Như ở bài tập trên, mình có đưa ra 03 kiểu viết thư: formal, semi-formal và informal letter.
Vậy dựa vào đâu để phân biệt được 03 dạng này?
Mình sẽ cung cấp tới các bạn một số dấu hiệu nhận biết như sau:

FormalSemi-formalInformal
- Formal greeting (lời chào trang trọng).
Dear Sir,
Dear Madam,

Dear Sir/ Madam,
- Formal greeting.
Dear Mr./ Miss/ Mrs./ Ms. + family name,
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
- Informal greeting (lời chào không trang trọng).
Dear + first name,
- Formal language (ngôn ngữ trang trọng)
  • Complex sentences (câu phức) - Ex: You have already proved yourself to be a highly competent and effective member of your company, and I believe that...
  • Non-colloquial English (không dùng TA thông tục) - Ex: Please keep me informed regarding any further developments -> NO: Please keep me posted about what's happening.
  • Frequent use of the passive (thường ở thể bị động) - Ex: A two-week package holiday to the picturesque village is being offered by our agency for only 3,600$.
  • Advanced vocabulary (từ vựng nâng cao) - Ex: I feel it is appropriate to explain to you some of the practices which are enforced throughout all of our branches.
- No abbreviated forms, idioms (không viết tắt, dùng thành ngữ)
(sẽ đi vào chi tiết trong các bài viết tới)
- A respectful tone, depending on the relationship
you have with the recipient of the letter.

(giọng điệu tôn trọng, tùy thuộc vào mối quan hệ 2 bên để xác định style)
  • No omission of pronouns. (không viết thiếu đại từ)
  • Idioms carefully used. (thận trọng khi dùng idioms)
- Informal language and style
(ngôn ngữ và phong cách không trang trọng)
  • Idioms (thành ngữ) - Ex: It was a blessing in disguise...
  • Phrasal verbs (cụm động từ) - Ex: I'll look you up next time.
  • Colloquial English and omission of pronouns (TA thông tục và thiếu đại từ) - Ex: Hope to see you soon!
- Abbreviated forms, idioms (viết tắt)
- Formal ending (kết thúc trang trọng).
Yours faithfully, (dùng khi không biết tên người nhận)
Yours sincerely, (dùng khi biết tên người nhận)
- Informal ending (kết thúc không trang trọng).
Yours,
Best Wishes,
- Informal ending (kết thúc không trang trọng).
Best,
Best regards,
Regards,
Best wishes,
Love,
Cheers,
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Qua bài viết này, có lẽ bạn đã biết các styles viết thư và có thể dễ dàng phân biệt/ vận dụng chúng. Trong các bài viết tới, mình sẽ tập trung giới thiệu chi tiết về thể cách viết thư formal letter với các types khác nhau nhé!

Đến giờ luyện tập rùi mọi người. Hãy thử sức phân biệt FORMAL/ SEMI-FORMAL/ INFORMAL LETTER qua bài tập dưới đây nàoo!!

:Chicken6 Read these extracts and say
- Which is a) informal, b) semi-formal and c) formal.

- Then underline the characteristics which indicate the style in each extract.
- What is the purpose of these letters?
- Who are the letters addressed to?

A. I believe that I could be an ideal candidate for the position you have outlined, as I have had extensive marketing training with a well-known Japanese marketing and public relations firm. My time spent living in Tokyo also ensured that I obtained a valuable insight into Japanese culture and working practices. I also have a number of very good business contacts in Tokyo, as well as a basic understanding of the Japanese language which is necessary if one is to be able to work effectively. Finally, I am willing and able to relocate at short notice, which I understand to be a requirement of the position.
B. If you really hate living in that country that much I'd say do yourself a favor and leave. Don't hang about either. If you come back here soon, I'm sure you can find a job without any problem, and you know you can stay with me until you find yourself a place to live.
C. Of course, it will be a big change going to live in a different country, away from your family and all your old friends, but it need not be as difficult as you seem to think. Why not apply for a room in a university hall of residence? Everything is provided, and because you live with a lot of other students. it is easy to make new friends.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Mong các bạn cảm thấy nội dung này hữu ích, và tham gia hoàn thiện cùng mình bằng cách tương tác tại topic này nhó :Chicken9

hanh2002123

Thành viên
3 Tháng một 2015
Bắc Giang
KEYS
Read these extracts and say
- Which is a) informal, b) semi-formal and c) formal.

- Then underline the characteristics which indicate the style in each extract.
- What is the purpose of these letters?
- Who are the letters addressed to?

A. I believe that I could be an ideal candidate for the position you have outlined, as I have had extensive marketing training with a well-known Japanese marketing and public relations firm. My time spent living in Tokyo also ensured that I obtained a valuable insight into Japanese culture and working practices. I also have a number of very good business contacts in Tokyo, as well as a basic understanding of the Japanese language which is necessary if one is to be able to work effectively. Finally, I am willing and able to relocate at short notice, which I understand to be a requirement of the position.
=> c) formal.
=> Letter of application.

B.
If you really hate living in that country that much I'd say do yourself a favor and leave. Don't hang about either. If you come back here soon, I'm sure you can find a job without any problem, and you know you can stay with me until you find yourself a place to live.
=> a) informal
=> Letter of advice.

C.
Of course, it will be a big change going to live in a different country, away from your family and all your old friends, but it need not be as difficult as you seem to think. Why not apply for a room in a university hall of residence? Everything is provided, and because you live with a lot of other students. it is easy to make new friends.
=> b) semi-formal
=> Letter of advice.

Hẹn gặp lại các bạn tại bài viết tiếp theo ^^

Top Bottom