English THCS Reported Speech

Nhizaa

Học sinh mới
27 Tháng sáu 2023
Bình Dương
[TẶNG BẠN] TRỌN BỘ Bí kíp học tốt 08 môn
Chắc suất Đại học top - Giữ chỗ ngay!!

ĐĂNG BÀI NGAY để cùng trao đổi với các thành viên siêu nhiệt tình & dễ thương trên diễn đàn.

Các cậu giải thích giúp tớ câu này vớiiii, tớ có một xíu thắc mắc ở chỗ đáp án:

1. '' I'm sorry I couldn't come to visit you last summer. '' Kate said to me
-> Kate apologized to me for not having come to visit me the previous summer.
-Tại sao lại dùng having come thay vì dùng coming vậy ạ?

Last edited:

Wallhappe

Học sinh mới
28 Tháng sáu 2023
Đà Nẵng
The phrase "having come" is used in the sentence to convey the completion of an action that occurred before a specific point in the past. In this case, Kate is apologizing for not visiting during the previous summer, indicating that the action of visiting (coming to visit) was already in the past at that time.

Using "coming" instead of "having come" would change the meaning of the sentence. "Kate apologized to me for not coming to visit you the previous summer" would suggest that Kate did not come to visit at that particular time in the past, rather than indicating that the action of not visiting had already occurred before that time.

Reactions: Nhizaa

Nhizaa

Học sinh mới
27 Tháng sáu 2023
Bình Dương
The phrase "having come" is used in the sentence to convey the completion of an action that occurred before a specific point in the past. In this case, Kate is apologizing for not visiting during the previous summer, indicating that the action of visiting (coming to visit) was already in the past at that time.

Using "coming" instead of "having come" would change the meaning of the sentence. "Kate apologized to me for not coming to visit you the previous summer" would suggest that Kate did not come to visit at that particular time in the past, rather than indicating that the action of not visiting had already occurred before that time.
WallhappeAnother case is:
'' I must have made a mistake in the calculations.'' said Mr. Forest
-> Mr. Forest admitted having made a mistake in the calculation.
I wonder why the phrase must have is changed having made?

Wallhappe

Học sinh mới
28 Tháng sáu 2023
Đà Nẵng
Another case is:
'' I must have made a mistake in the calculations.'' said Mr. Forest
-> Mr. Forest admitted having made a mistake in the calculation.
I wonder why the phrase must have is changed having made?
NhizaaIn the transformation from "I must have made a mistake" to "Mr. Forest admitted having made a mistake," the phrase "must have" is changed to "having made" to express the action of making a mistake in the past.

The phrase "must have" indicates a strong assumption or certainty about a past event. It suggests that the speaker believes something to be true based on evidence or logical deduction. In this case, "I must have made a mistake" implies that the speaker is certain that they made a mistake in the calculations.

When transforming the sentence into reported speech ("Mr. Forest admitted..."), the verb form changes to the present participle "having made" to convey the action of making a mistake in the past. This construction is commonly used when reporting actions that occurred prior to the current moment or at a specific point in the past. It emphasizes the completion of the action ("made a mistake") and indicates that the mistake occurred before the admission or acknowledgment expressed by "admitted."

Reactions: Nhizaa
Top Bottom