Ngoại ngữ Reading

vuongthanh6a

Học sinh chăm học
Thành viên
8 Tháng mười một 2015
[TẶNG BẠN] TRỌN BỘ Bí kíp học tốt 08 môn
Chắc suất Đại học top - Giữ chỗ ngay!!

ĐĂNG BÀI NGAY để cùng trao đổi với các thành viên siêu nhiệt tình & dễ thương trên diễn đàn.

đọc bài văn sau và điền các đáp án từ A-H vào các chỗ trống tương ứng từ 1-7
SUMMER CAMP: A SOAP OPERA
Every June, thousands of British students fly to the United States to spend their holidays working at summer camps. In return, they get a free return flight, full board, pocket money and the chance to travel. Lucy Graham joined a camp and spent eight weeks working with six to sixteen-year-olds. I applied at the last minute and was so thrilled at the prospect of spending the holidays doing
something more exciting than working in the local supermarket that I hastily accepted the
only job left - in the camp laundry.
(1) ___ On arrival I was told by the camp director that I would be doing the washing for
200 children - on my own. Any romantic dreams I'd had quickly turned into nightmare
reality. For the first week, the party sent out by the jobs agency - nine students, including me
- became a full-time cleaning squad, getting the place ready for its grand opening.
(2) ___ The children's arrival also brought 50 American counsellors to look after them, and
the opening of the laundry. At first, I had to work from 8.45 in the morning till 10.30 at night
to get all my work done. Considering there was no hot water in the laundry and the machines
were old, the washing came out remarkably well.
(3) ___ The kitchen workers, maintenance man and myself found that we were on the
lowest level of the camp's class system. Our four British counsellor friends had a much better
time. They got friendly with their American colleagues and were respected by the children.
They were also given tips by parents after the holiday.
(4) ___ As for the camp itself, it had a large lake and excellent sporting facilities. But
because organised activities for the children carried on into the evening, we usually didn't get
the chance to use them. However, much more annoying were my room-mates, three 18￿-
year-old girls who worked in the dining room.
(5) ___ On top of that, the camp food was poor, with child-size portions; fresh fruit and
vegetables were rare. One catering worker even stood over the pineapple rings, checking that
you took only one each.
(6) ___ However, I couldn't set off as soon as the children left because we had to stay on
for a few days, cleaning and closing down the camp. My last duty was to load up the rubbish
bags and take out any clothes the children had thrown away, in case their parents asked about
them.
(7) ___ What's more, without the free ticket I got to the US - and the rail ticket from my
parents ￿- I would never have seen Niagara Falls, gone up the Empire State Building or had
my picture taken with Mickey Mouse at Disney World.
A They had never been away from home before, and spent most of the night
screaming with excitement. Sometimes, the only way to get any rest was to pretend to
be ill and sleep in the medical centre.
B We weren't so lucky. We were never invited to join in the evening activities. When
we did manage to get out of the camp, our evenings tended to consist of eating ice-
cream at the local gas station.
C As a result, the standard of the camp you end up in is usually a question of luck.
However, the agencies do hold meetings where you can ask representatives from
camps about the facilities and the nature of the work you will be expected to do.
D We swept out the bedrooms and scrubbed the lavatories, gymnasium and kitchen.
We polished the cooking equipment, put up the sports nets and carried any luggage
sent on ahead to the bedrooms.
E On the whole it had been well worth it. Despite the washing, the camp's plus points
had been a beautiful setting, meeting a great bunch of travelling companions and
doing far more reading for my university course than I would have done at home.
F All these disadvantages meant that Saturdays, our days off, were highly valued. The
places we visited then, such as New York City, gave me an appetite for travelling
later on. If I hadn't done that, I would have regretted it - there is so much to see and do
and I was keen to get on with it.
G But with so many clothes to wash and dry, some did get mixed up. I had six￿-year-
olds marching up and telling me that their parents would be very angry if I didn't find
their favourite sweater.
H I started to have my doubts while squashed between the swimming instructor and
the sports teacher during the three-hour minibus ride to the camp, which was in a tiny
town about 90 miles from New York City.

phonghuya1

Học sinh mới
Thành viên
28 Tháng bảy 2017
việt nam
Thanh Hóa
Question : Read the passage carefully then choose the best answer (A, B, C or D).

Concern about the gypsy moth has been growing in Michigan. The moth larva, a two-inch long furry caterpillar, is a ravenous eater of tree leaves. These larve defoliate entire groups of trees, and through repeated defoliation, the trees eventually die. This type of tree loss is a major concern to the timber and paper industries, both of which depend on the well- being of Michigan’s woodlands. The gypsy moth is also of concern to recreational users of Michigan’s forests. Some areas are nearly unusable due to the large number of caterpillars that drop from the trees onto campsites, cabins, and trails.

To deal with this problem, the Michigan Forestry Department needed to assess to what extent the moth threatened timberlands. Before launching extensive pesticide spraying programmes, which present their own dangers to wildlife, a thorough understanding of the problem was needed. For this the department turned to john Whitter, a forest entomologist.

Whitter has been investigating the relation between tre species and the proliferation of the gypsymoth larvae. He has found that aspen and red and white oak trees are preferred food of the moth larvae: they rarely feed on re maple. Because of this, it is likely that northen Michigan forests will see a shift toward the red maple as oak and aspen are destroyed by the moth. Whitter’s research has further determined where tree death is caused by the gypsy moth are and where drought or other stresses may be the cause. With this information theForest Department is much better equipped to find a solution to the gypsy moth problem.

1. According to the pasage, when do the gyspy moths do the most damage?

A. when they are larvae B. when they attack caterpillars

C. after they are sprayed with pesticides D. when there is a drought

2. Which of the following if NOT true about gyspy moths?

A. They can bother tourists

B. They can bother wildlife

C. They can kill trees

D. They can harm certain businesses

3. What problem with pesticide does the passage mention?

A. They are costly

B. They don’t kill all varieties of the gyspy moths.

C. They can be harmful to humans.

D. They may harm wild plants and animals

4. What did John Whitter do for the Forestry Department?

A. He developed new pesticides that won’t harm wildlife

B. He found a solution to the gyspy moth problem.

C. He studied the moths gyspy problem.

D. He recommended which pesticides to use.

5. It can be inferred that before Whitter’s work, ………..

A. pesticides were more dangerous than rthey are now.

B. people didn’t know whether drought or moths had killed certain trees.

C. red maples were endangered by gyspy moths.

D. the gyspy moth population was controlled by periodic drought

Top Bottom