English THCS English exercise

Trangpyk161288

Học sinh mới
Thành viên
6 Tháng mười một 2021
Hà Nam
[TẶNG BẠN] TRỌN BỘ Bí kíp học tốt 08 môn
Chắc suất Đại học top - Giữ chỗ ngay!!

ĐĂNG BÀI NGAY để cùng trao đổi với các thành viên siêu nhiệt tình & dễ thương trên diễn đàn.

II.Write the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correcting.

1. Nobody had known before the presentation that Sue and her sister will receive the awards for outstanding scholarship.
A. had known B. the C. will receive D. scholarship
2. Many of the characters portrayed by writer Joyce Carol Oates ismentally ill.
A. Many of B. portrayed C. is D. mentally
3.The extent to which an individual is a product of either heredity or environment cannot proven, but several theorieshave been proposed.
A. to which B. cannot proven C. several theories D. have been
4. An octopus has three hearts to pump blood throughouttheir body.
A.An B. to pump C. throughout D. their
5. Since vitamins are contained in a wide variety of foods, people seldom lack of most of them.
A. are B. in a C. variety of D. lack of
II. You are going to read an article in which four crime writers talk about other authors they like. For questions 1–10, choose from the crime writers (A–D). The writers may be chosen more than once.

Which writer

1. ________

enjoys the slow pace of the book?

2. ________

feels overshadowed by this author?

3. ________

appreciates the author’s precise style of writing?

4. ________

mentions a detective with an unusual background?

5. ________

believes a previous job influences the author’s work?

6. ________

had not expected to enjoy the books?

7. ________

likes the way the books reflect what’s going on in the world?

8. ________

admires the way the author is not influenced by what is expected?

9. ________

prefers books that show the feelings of the author?

10. ______

is impressed by the consistent high standard of an author’s books?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

A. John Harvey on Peter Temple
I started reading Temple’s books about 10 years ago, and at the time it was fairly straightforward crime fiction set in Australia, a lot of it with a horse-racing background. The books were OK, but not exceptional. Then suddenly with The Broken Shore, he just hit something quite different and moved up a level. He is writing the kind of books I‘ve spent 20 years trying to write, and writing them better than I do. He’s using crime fiction not just to tell a story, but to say something about today’s society. He really gets the connections between politics, the police and the media right. I love the writing – it‘s really taut and a lesson in how to say a lot without being too wordy.
B. Sara Paretsky on Liza Cody
There is a lot of good, stylish writing out there that puts me off because it’s unfelt. I’m looking for someone who has a gift for storytelling, and who is willing to do the hard work of digging into the emotional aspect of life. Liza Cody does that, and she takes a lot of risks. She doesn’t just do the easy thing to be recognized in the marketplace; she goes where the story and emotion takes her. For instance, she had to self-publish her most recent book, Ballad of A Dead Nobody, because no one in the industry was willing to. These days, you’re told you have to create a brand or a series, with a recognizable link. She is willing to turn her back on that and focus on what her inner voice is telling her.
C. Mark Billingham on Michael Connelly
The first Connelly book I read was The Poet, his first standalone novel and a big breakthrough for him. By then, he had written four books in his Harry Bosch series, which I went back to read. He has maintained a level of quality through a long-running series – an incredibly difficult thing to achieve. People talk about how you create suspense, tricks such as cliffhangers and reveals, but actually the real secret is to create characters the readers care about. Bosch, a detective in the Los Angeles Police Department, is a character who has grown and changed, who you come to know and care about. All that aside, he is a fantastic storyteller, probably the best in modern mystery fiction. I think his days as a journalist – he was a crime reporter on the Los Angeles Times – stood him in good stead because he never forgets the story.
D. Ann Cleeves on Johan Theorin
I read Theorin’s first novel, Echoes from the Dead, after my Swedish editor had said: ‘There’s this Swedish author writing four books set on an island in the Baltic – I wonder if he stole the idea from you?’ because I’ve written novels set in the Shetlands. I was a bit annoyed – although I’m sure it was coincidental – so I wasn’t prepared to like it. But I really loved it. He has this interesting detective who is elderly and lives in a sheltered housing complex, so he can’t be out there doing car chases. One of the books is about this crumbling house by the shore and you’re not sure if there’s a supernatural element. It has the most wonderful climax. Theorin is prepared to take his time over the telling of the story, which is unusual these days. If you look at the bestsellers, they usually move quite rapidly. There is nothing wrong with that, but Theorin writes in a much deeper, literary way.

III. Read the article below about the illegal international trade of whale meat. Six sentences have been removed from the article. Choose from the sentences A – F the one which fits each gap 1 - 5. There is one extra sentence which you do not need to use.
EATING ENDANGERED SPECIES?
The International Whaling Commission was established in 1946 to manage dwindling stocks of whales. Quotas were set to limit the number of whales that could be killed each year for commercial use, but these were often ignored and whale numbers continued to decrease. In 1975, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES) gave full protection to several species including the blue, grey, humpback and right whales. International pressure on the IWC continued and in 1986 it finally put a limit on commercial whaling.
(1)__________. This is achieved by issuing scientific research permits, as killing whales for research is not forbidden. The stated aim of the Japanese research programme is to establish sustainable whaling in the Antarctic Ocean. Both Japan and South Korea are also permitted to trade, within their own countries, whale meat from animals killed as an incidental result of other fishing. (2)__________. Also, in an attempt to control hunting, individual whales are logged on a DNA register so that they can be identified.
The value of “lethal sampling”, that is, the practice of killing whales in order to study them, is highly contentious issue. (3)__________. On the other hand, opponents say this information is not strictly necessary, and moreover, there are better ways to get it. The selling of whale meat from the lethal sampling to fish markets is purportedly to help fund the research. This claim, however, is disrupted by opponents as being a cover for illegal whaling. Now there is evidence to support their views.
A team of scientists, led by Professor Scott Baker, have used DNA to analyse samples of sushi from restaurants in Los Angeles and Seoul. The sushi was found to be made from the illegally-traded meat of protected whale species. The results of the study were handed over to local and national authorities and have since resulted in criminal proceedings against the Los Angeles restaurant.
The researcher used DNA sequencing to identify the species of whale and then used DNA profiling – the same technique used to identify human individuals in criminal forensics – to identify the source of the meat. (4)__________. In addition, some of the meat purchased in Seoul came from Antarctic minke whales, a species which is not local to South Korea and must have therefore also been traded illegally.
Although Japanese authorities keep a DNA register of each whale destined to be sold commercially, this information is not available for monitoring purposes. (5)__________. As the authors state, “The illegal trade of products from protected species of whales, presumably taken under a national permit for scientific research, is a timely reminder of the need for independent, transparent and robust monitoring of any future whaling”.

A.

The DNA results showed that the whale meat in the Los Angeles restaurant had almost certainly originated in Japanese “scientific” whale hunts.

B.

However, the export of any whale meat from these countries to the U.S.A. is strictly prohibited.

C.

The researchers suggest that urgent action is needed in making this information available to scientists to further monitoring and analysis of commercially available whale meat can take place.

D.

Despite the 1986 ban, Japan has continued to hunt whales legally.

E.

Some claim that it is required in order to learn about the eating habits and lifespan of whales.

F.

Since the 1986 international moratorium, it has been assumed that there is no international trade in whale products, but this does not seem to be the case.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I.Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given. You must use between two and five words, including the word given.

1. They offered her a job but she refused. (TURNED)
→ She _____________________________________________________________________ of a job.
2. I find driving on the left in England very strange. (ACCUSTOMED)
→ I ______________________________________ driving on the left in England.
3. I expect you were very tired by the end of the week. (MUST)
→ By the end of the week ____________________________________________ exhausted.
4. Being late is inexcusable. (EXCUSE)
→ There is ____________________________________________________________________ late.
5. Matthew decided not to do his homework and went to play football. (INSTEAD)
→ Matthew went to play football ___________________________________ homework.

Reactions: Minh Nhí

Minh Nhí

Cựu Mod Tiếng Anh|Cựu Phó nhóm Tiếng Anh
Thành viên
Trưởng nhóm xuất sắc nhất 2017
18 Tháng mười một 2013
Chào bạn, bạn tham khảo

II.Write the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the underlined part that needs correcting.

1. Nobody had known before the presentation that Sue and her sister will receive the awards for outstanding scholarship.
A. had known B. the C. will receive D. scholarship
2. Many of the characters portrayed by writer Joyce Carol Oates ismentally ill.
A. Many of B. portrayed C. is D. mentally
3.The extent to which an individual is a product of either heredity or environment cannot proven, but several theorieshave been proposed.
A. to which B. cannot proven C. several theories D. have been
4. An octopus has three hearts to pump blood throughouttheir body.
A.An B. to pump C. throughout D. their
5. Since vitamins are contained in a wide variety of foods, people seldom lack of most of them.
A. are B. in a C. variety of D. lack of

Tham khảo https://diendan.hocmai.vn/threads/i...rade-of-whale-meat-six-sentences-have.838932/

Nếu có thắc mắc gì bạn có thể đặt câu hỏi
Mời bạn tham khảo thêm

+ Chinh phục kì thi tốt nghiệp THPT Quốc gia
+ Level up your Vocabulary
+ IDIOMS theo chủ đề
+ Dịch thuật -Word order
+ Luyện nghe Tiếng Anh Magic Ears
Chúc bạn học tốt!

noraishere

Học sinh mới
Thành viên
3 Tháng mười một 2021
They offered her a job but she refused. (TURNED)
→ She TURNED DOWN THEIR OFFER of a job.
→ I AM NOT ACCUSTOMED TO driving on the left in England.
→ By the end of the week YOU MUST BE exhausted.
→ There is NO EXCUSE FOR BEING late.
5. Matthew decided not to do his homework and went to play football.
-> Mathew went to play football INSTEAD OF DOING homework
(INS

Nguyễn Hoàng Vân Anh

Học sinh tiến bộ
Thành viên
20 Tháng tám 2021
Long An
Trường THCS Đông Thành
I.Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given. You must use between two and five words, including the word given.
1. They offered her a job but she refused. (TURNED)
→ She _____________________________________________________________________ of a job.
→ I ______________________________________ driving on the left in England.
→ By the end of the week ____________________________________________ exhausted.
→ There is ____________________________________________________________________ late.
5. Matthew decided not to do his homework and went to play football. (INSTEAD)
→ Matthew went to play football ___________________________________ homework.
Phần này cậu tham khảo ở đây nhé.
Chúc bạn học tốt!:Chuothong47

Top Bottom