English THPT You are going to read a newspaper article about a sporting event.

Bạch Tử Thiên

Học sinh
Thành viên
20 Tháng một 2022
Hà Nội
[TẶNG BẠN] TRỌN BỘ Bí kíp học tốt 08 môn
Chắc suất Đại học top - Giữ chỗ ngay!!

ĐĂNG BÀI NGAY để cùng trao đổi với các thành viên siêu nhiệt tình & dễ thương trên diễn đàn.

Which of the participants
1. had been confident of winning?
2. mentions qualities not necessarily connected to sport?
3. describes the kind of people who take part in this race?
4. refers to long training done before the race?
5. contributed expert knowledge?
6. mentions overcoming an unexpected setback?
7. felt that the weather was in the team’s favour?
8. was able to return a favour?
9. refers to physical requirements of participants?
10. mentions the strict rules of the race?
11. enjoys the adrenalin rush from competing?
12. is aware of their own shortcomings?
13. complains about the physical conditions?
14. feels the choice of venue is an important factor?
15. demonstrates excellent navigational ability?

Primal Quest
Are you adventurous? Sarah Cairns asked four participants about Discovery Channel's annual race.

A. “‘Testing yourself to the limit, challenging | nature, racing and adventure” was how Paul described the exciting annual expedition race called Primal Quest. Paul had tried his hand at all the skills needed for the contest long before he actually took part in it. “I learned to ride horses and mountain bikes at an early age and when I was 16, Dad finally took me climbing. It still took me years to build up the necessary strength,” he told us. “The race covers over 400 miles of extremely rough terrain, and includes rappelling and whitewater rafting. You need to keep going round the clock for anything between six to 10 days, and you’re fighting exhaustion most of the time. This year the race was in the desert, and the extreme heat was especially brutal. But, I get a kick out of any sport that involves danger and calls for stamina and a lot of willpower. It’s a challenge to human endurance.”

B. Helen admitted that she wasn’t always an asset to her team. “I’d done quite a bit of mountain biking before, but there were sections between checkpoints that we rode across which were interspersed with parts where the bikes had to be carried. That meant that, at each stage, we had to dismantle our bikes, and then reassemble them. I’m what you would call technically challenged, so I held the team back. My three teammates were great, though. Whoever was ready first always gave me a hand.” Helen, experienced in the water, was happy that she was able to reciprocate in the kayaking part of the race, a skill in which her fellow teammates were less competent. She managed to save them quite a bit of time by choosing the fastest possible course through the river and helping them avoid underwater rocks. These are virtually invisible, but a skilled kayaker can recognise them by the slight changes in the river’s flow.

C. It’s difficult for Sandy to put her finger on what attracted her most about Primal Quest. “Maybe it was a love of extreme sports,” she told me, “or growing up in a mountainous area in Canada where climbing and canoeing were always part of our lives.” The beauty and splendour of the course, which took them through stunning desert canyons to unspoilt mountain trails, made her feel it was well worth it. Sarah also admitted that being a woman had something to do with it. “I loved the idea of a challenging race in a wild and remote location, where both sexes had to be represented on every team. I really believe that Primal Quest makes for better human beings, not just sportspeople. You need perfect communication with your teammates, mutual consideration and total dedication to the mission at hand. I think you come home from the experience a more compassionate person, at work, with your family and in other relationships.”

D. Upon reaching Checkpoint 36, David and his teammates were informed that, before they could continue, they would have to complete an orienteering course. This was a route of eight and a half miles which they had to cover while finding points shown on a map, in territory that is especially difficult to navigate. They hadn’t counted on this obstacle, and as it turned out, some other teams opted for an eight-hour penalty rather than attempting it. “However, one of the team had once been a scout and remembered orienteering to get us through this part in under five hours. On the seventh day, we were still well ahead,” he told us. “Our performance was outstanding. We’d made good time on the mountain bike sections and there wasn’t a flash flood insight when we waded through a river bed.” Then, on the eighth day, misfortune struck. Nell sprained an ankle so she couldn’t ride her bike. “There was no way she could get to the finishing line, which meant we were all disqualified.”

Tannie0903

Cựu Mod Tiếng Anh
Thành viên
8 Tháng mười hai 2021
Nghệ An
1. had been confident of winning?
2. mentions qualities not necessarily connected to sport?
3. describes the kind of people who take part in this race?
4. refers to long training done before the race?
5. contributed expert knowledge?
6. mentions overcoming an unexpected setback?
7. felt that the weather was in the team’s favour?
8. was able to return a favour?
9. refers to physical requirements of participants?
10. mentions the strict rules of the race?
11. enjoys the adrenalin rush from competing?
12. is aware of their own shortcomings?
13. complains about the physical conditions?
14. feels the choice of venue is an important factor?
15. demonstrates excellent navigational ability?

Primal Quest
Are you adventurous? Sarah Cairns asked four participants about Discovery Channel's annual race.

A. “‘Testing yourself to the limit, challenging | nature, racing and adventure” was how Paul described the exciting annual expedition race called Primal Quest. Paul had tried his hand at all the skills needed for the contest long before he actually took part in it. “I learned to ride horses and mountain bikes at an early age and when I was 16, Dad finally took me climbing. It still took me years to build up the necessary strength,” he told us. “The race covers over 400 miles of extremely rough terrain, and includes rappelling and whitewater rafting. You need to keep going round the clock for anything between six to 10 days, and you’re fighting exhaustion most of the time. This year the race was in the desert, and the extreme heat was especially brutal. But, I get a kick out of any sport that involves danger and calls for stamina and a lot of willpower. It’s a challenge to human endurance.”

B. Helen admitted that she wasn’t always an asset to her team. “I’d done quite a bit of mountain biking before, but there were sections between checkpoints that we rode across which were interspersed with parts where the bikes had to be carried. That meant that, at each stage, we had to dismantle our bikes, and then reassemble them. I’m what you would call technically challenged, so I held the team back. My three teammates were great, though. Whoever was ready first always gave me a hand.” Helen, experienced in the water, was happy that she was able to reciprocate in the kayaking part of the race, a skill in which her fellow teammates were less competent. She managed to save them quite a bit of time by choosing the fastest possible course through the river and helping them avoid underwater rocks. These are virtually invisible, but a skilled kayaker can recognise them by the slight changes in the river’s flow.

C. It’s difficult for Sandy to put her finger on what attracted her most about Primal Quest. “Maybe it was a love of extreme sports,” she told me, “or growing up in a mountainous area in Canada where climbing and canoeing were always part of our lives.” The beauty and splendour of the course, which took them through stunning desert canyons to unspoilt mountain trails, made her feel it was well worth it. Sarah also admitted that being a woman had something to do with it. “I loved the idea of a challenging race in a wild and remote location, where both sexes had to be represented on every team. I really believe that Primal Quest makes for better human beings, not just sportspeople. You need perfect communication with your teammates, mutual consideration and total dedication to the mission at hand. I think you come home from the experience a more compassionate person, at work, with your family and in other relationships.”

D. Upon reaching Checkpoint 36, David and his teammates were informed that, before they could continue, they would have to complete an orienteering course. This was a route of eight and a half miles which they had to cover while finding points shown on a map, in territory that is especially difficult to navigate. They hadn’t counted on this obstacle, and as it turned out, some other teams opted for an eight-hour penalty rather than attempting it. “However, one of the team had once been a scout and remembered orienteering to get us through this part in under five hours. On the seventh day, we were still well ahead,” he told us. “Our performance was outstanding. We’d made good time on the mountain bike sections and there wasn’t a flash flood insight when we waded through a river bed.” Then, on the eighth day, misfortune struck. Nell sprained an ankle so she couldn’t ride her bike. “There was no way she could get to the finishing line, which meant we were all disqualified.”
Bạch Tử ThiênBạn tham khảo nhé:
1. had been confident of winning? D
2. mentions qualities not necessarily connected to sport? C
3. describes the kind of people who take part in this race? C
4. refers to long training done before the race? A
5. contributed expert knowledge? B
6. mentions overcoming an unexpected setback? D
7. felt that the weather was in the team’s favour? D
8. was able to return a favour? B
9. refers to physical requirements of participants? C
10. mentions the strict rules of the race? D
11. enjoys the adrenalin rush from competing? A
12. is aware of their own shortcomings? B
13. complains about the physical conditions? A
14. feels the choice of venue is an important factor? C
15. demonstrates excellent navigational ability? D

Primal Quest

C. It’s difficult for Sandy to put her finger on what attracted her most about Primal Quest. “Maybe it was a love of extreme sports,” she told me, “or growing up in a mountainous area in Canada where climbing and canoeing were always part of our lives.” The beauty and splendor of the course, which took them through stunning desert canyons to unspoilt mountain trails, made her feel it was well worth it. Sarah also admitted that being a woman had something to do with it. “I loved the idea of a challenging race in a wild and remote location, where both sexes had to be represented on every team. I really believe that Primal Quest makes for better human beings, not just sportspeople. You need perfect communication with your teammates, mutual consideration and total dedication to the mission at hand. I think you come home from the experience a more compassionate person, at work, with your family and in other relationships.”

D. Upon reaching Checkpoint 36, David and his teammates were informed that, before they could continue, they would have to complete an orienteering course. This was a route of eight and a half miles which they had to cover while finding points shown on a map, in territory that is especially difficult to navigate. They hadn’t counted on this obstacle, and as it turned out, some other teams opted for an eight-hour penalty rather than attempting it. “However, one of the team had once been a scout and remembered orienteering to get us through this part in under five hours. On the seventh day, we were still well ahead,” he told us. “Our performance was outstanding. We’d made good time on the mountain bike sections and there wasn’t a flash flood insight when we waded through a river bed. Then, on the eighth day, misfortune struck. Nell sprained an ankle so she couldn’t ride her bike. “There was no way she could get to the finishing line, which meant we were all disqualified.”
Chúc bạn học tốt, nếu thắc mắc gì hãy hỏi thêm nhé!
Bạn có thể ghé thăm topic của mình nhé:
-Ôn thi theo chủ điểm

-Luyện tập phrasal verbs
Đây là một số kiến thức khác bạn có thể tham khảo nhé:
-Tổng hợp kiến thức các môn

Top Bottom