Ngoại ngữ Tiếng Anh vào lớp 10

Kasparov

Học sinh tiến bộ
Thành viên
2 Tháng ba 2016
Việt Nam
[TẶNG BẠN] TRỌN BỘ Bí kíp học tốt 08 môn
Chắc suất Đại học top - Giữ chỗ ngay!!

ĐĂNG BÀI NGAY để cùng trao đổi với các thành viên siêu nhiệt tình & dễ thương trên diễn đàn.

I. Choose the best word or phrase from A, B C, or D to complete these sentences.
21. Unlike Walt Disney's cartoon chipmunks, which always appear up a tree, real chipmunks _________to stay near their underground burrows in case they to escape from a predator.
A. prefer - need
B. will prefer - have needed
C. have prefered - are needed
D. had prefered - need
22. I waited in Time Square for Alfonzo for more than two hours, but he never _________.
A. hung around
B. showed up
C. pulled off
D. turned in
23. _________ him last week, he wouldn't be in such a trouble now.
A. Were I to help
B. If I helped
C. Had I helped
D. Unless I helped
24. I wish you_________ the trouble to me before so I could help you.
A. would explain
B. had explained
C. hadn't explained
D. hadn’t explained
25. Alsatians and boxers, _________ by professional trainers, can be both guard dogs and pets.
A. if are trained
B. if will be trained
C. if trained
D. if have been trained
26. Had the Millennium Dome not been built, 750 million pounds _________ on health and education.
A. could have been spent . B. could be spent C. will have spent D. could have spent
27. I do not know my uncle is_________ doubt _________ everything he sees.
A. of – for B. in – with C. in – of D. with – about
28. Judging from the speed of mechanization, it _________ that very few things in the world _________ by hand in the 21st century.
A. has been predicted - will be making B. is being predicted - have been made C. will be predicted - were made D. can be predicted - will be made
29. In the novel Zeno's Conscience, Zeno Cosini _________ some events of his life at the insistence of his psychoanalyst.
A. gets by with B. comes down with C. looks back on D. drops out of
30. On the whole, I enjoy _________ our local club, but I think there are far too many rules and regulations ________ completely at ease.
A. attending - to feel B. to attend - to be feeling C. attend – having left D. being attended - feeling
31. We live very far from the station, so she _________ a taxi because she got here just ten minutes after the Arrival of the train.
A. would certainly take B. must have taken C. had to take D. had to have taken
32. _________ else is this tradition observed as keenly as it is in this town.
A. Only when B. Only if C. Whenever D. Nowhere
33. In the Lawless Roads, Graham Green _________ the people of Mexico by describing them in a highly patronizing manner.
A. looks down on B. gets through with C. runs out of D. backs out of
34. _________ between the two attacks, the commander tried to prevent the enemy troops _________ their strength.
A. Having delayed - without gathering B. In delaying - for gathering C. Without delaying - to gather D. By not delaying - from gathering
35. _________ gills, lungfish also have lungs, enabling them to live both in and out of water.
A. Nevertheless B. Moreover C. In addition to D. Whereas
36. _________ you listen to what is actually being said, _________ you will understand what is meant.
A. The harder - the better B. The hardest - the best C. As hard - so well D. Too hard - so good
37. Although Peter is very good at French, he usually fails to get full marks on his tests because he doesn't read the questions _________ to notice the subtle differences in the grammar.
A. as carefully B. so carefully C. more carefully D. carefully enough
38. Mr. David, _________ honour the reception will be held next Saturday, has worked for this company for exactly fifty years.
A. about what B. in whose C. for whom D. that
39. The new personnel manager told us that he had visited _________ countries in Europe.
A. much B. a great deal of C. a number of D. as many
40. The man _________ on the chair behind me kept talking during the film, _________ really annoyed me.
A. sitting – which B. having sat – that C. was sitting - which D. sitting - who Your answ
II. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate form of the words in parentheses.
EAT MORE FRUIT AND VEGETABLES
A recent report on the (0) eating habits of children in Britain suggests that children from the age of three to sixteen show a strong (41. LIKE) .................... for vegetables and only eat (42. SUFFICE) ..................... amounts of fruit and vegetables at Christmas. One researcher says not eating (43. PROPER) ..................... may have serious consequences on a child’s (44. SPEAK) ........................ and physical development, resulting in poorer performance at school. One (45. SOLVE) ....................... is to give children extra iron and vitamins but in the long run it is more (46. EFFECT) ........................... if children get the right ingredients in their (47. DAY) .......................... diet. (48. FORTUNATE) .........................., parents choose food for their children that is quick and (49. CONVENIENCE) .......................... to prepare, rather than food which is fresh and healthy. (50. CONSEQUENCE) ......................., it is difficult later to get children to change their habits.
III. Each line in the following passage has one missing word. Put an oblique stroke ( / ) where the word has been omitted and write the missing word in each blank. The first one has been done for you. (5.0 pts) Your answer:
Three people jumped out a car on a busy Oxford road after a fire started under bonnet this morning. They were just able to rescue their possessions before the car burst flames. Mr Peter Collins, 25, of Wey Road, Berinsfield was driving Avenger estate car home from work his two friends when he noticed smoke coming into the car. He stopped, but was unable open the bonnet. He poured a bottle of water over the radiator where the smoke was coming from, but could not put the flames. He then ran to get fire extinguishers a nearby garage, but these also failed to have any effect. Finally, he telephoned for a fire engine, but the time it arrived, the car was totally burst out.
00. _______of ________ 51. __________________ 52. __________________ 53. __________________ 54. __________________ 55. __________________ 56. __________________ 57. __________________ 58. __________________ 59. __________________ 60. __________________
IV. Give the correct form of the verb in brackets to complete the following passage. (10.0 pts)
When my mother finally became too old to live alone, we decided that she should stay with us in town. I was (61. surprise) _________ at the amount of furniture she had. All those ancient chest of drawers and wardrobes, antique armchairs and settees, valuable vases, pictures of our ancestors in golden frames and many other decorations that she had been collecting for years. There definitely was no room in our flat to store all that, so we had to leave it in her house. I always (62. intend) _________ to clear it out and sell the place, but somehow I kept (63. put) _________ it off. One night I woke suddenly at four o'clock, almost in tears. I was extremely upset with a dream in which I saw two men (64. break) _________ a window, climb into my mother's house, and start walking from room to room looking for the most valuable among her belongings. Then the burglars (65. hear) _________ someone's voice outside or a door (66. close) __________ because they dropped the old beautiful mirror they (67. carry) _____________ and left in a hurry. The dream made me feel very guilty that I (68. not / take) _________ better care of the house. Later that morning I received a phone call from a lady who lived next door to the house. To my astonishment, she told me that it had been broken into during the night. Fortunately, something must have disturbed the burglars because they left without (69. take) __________ anything. I didn't want (70. believe) ____________ in the supernatural, but now I'm not so sure!

PART C. READING (25.0 pts)
I. Choose one word/phrase from A, B, C or D which best completes each gap of the passage, then write the word onto your answer sheet. The first one has been done for you. (5.0 pts)
TORNADOES AND TYPHOONS
People often (00) B. confuse typhoons and tornadoes, even though they are very different. Both are extremely destructive weather phenomina, with very (71) _________ winds, but the similarity ends there. Typhoons, also known as hurricanes, form only on water. They are such large storms that we can see them clearly only from the space. In a satellite photograph, a typhoon (72) _________ like an enormous circular blanket of thick cloud. It may have a small hole in the centre, (73) _________ an "eye". Tornadoes, on the other hand, are much smaller. A person on the ground can easily (74) _________ a photo of a tornado, although it might be a dangerous thing to do. It would be much wiser to look for (75) _________ than to hunt for your camera if a tornado is coming your (76) _________ . Unlike typhoons, tornadoes can form over both land and water. When a tornado (77) _________ over a lake or the sea, it can create a waterspout which can be well over a kilometre in (78) _________. Just like tornadoes over land, waterspouts can (79) _________ and transport some interesting objects. There have, for instance, been reports of fish being carried through the air and (80) _________ onto boats.
00. A. mistake B. confuse C. mix D. combine
71. A. strong B. big C. huge D. firm
72. A. sees B. looks C. views D. watches
73. A. called B. titled C. said D. told
74. A. fix B. take C. pull D. make
75. A. shelter B. asylum C. hiding D. defence
76. A. road B. direction C. route D. way
77. A. gains B. increases C. develops D.
II. Read the passage and fill in each blank with one suitable word (15.0 pts)
I have always found it difficult to say (00) for certain what my memories from my (81) _________ childhood are. Are (82) _________ memories learnt at a later age from overhearing our parents tell of our exploits? Well, there is a particular incident that I would love to claim as a genuine memory. When I was (83) _________ three years old, I went to the post office with my mother (84) _________ she was going to buy some stamps. While she was being served, I happened to notice a small stocking (85) _________ was hanging from the counter. It was there (86) _________ collect contributions for a charity for (87) _________ blind. While her back was turned, I took the stocking and emptied (88) _________ contents into my coat pocket. Of course, I was (89) _________ young to know any better. When it was realized what I (90) _________ done, everybody roared with laughter (91) _________, that is, for my mother who was a little embarrassed. She (92) _________ emptied the money back into the stocking (93) _________ incidentally, a few pennies of my (94) _________. One of the clerks was something of an amateur cartoonist and he made a drawing of me robbing an old lady. This cartoon (95) _________ displayed in the post office for the next couple of years.
III. Read the following passage and choose the best answer (A, B C, or D) to complete each sentence. (5.0 pts)
Although noise, commonly defined as unwanted sound, is a widely recognized form of pollution, it is very difficult to measure because the discomfort experienced by different individuals is highly subjective and, therefore, variable. Exposure to lower levels of noise may be slightly irritating, whereas exposure to higher levels may actually cause hearing loss. Particularly in congested urban areas, the noise produced as a by-product of our advancing technology causes physical and psychological harm, and detracts from the quality of life for those who are exposed to it.
Unlike the eyes, which can be covered by the eyelids against strong light, the ear has no lid, and is, therefore, always open and vulnerable; noise penetrates without protection.
Noise causes effects that the hearer cannot control and to which the body never becomes accustomed. Loud noises instinctively signal danger to any organism with a hearing mechanism, including human beings. In response, heartbeat and respiration accelerate, blood vessels constrict, the skin pales, and muscles tense. In fact, there is a general increase in functioning brought about by the flow of adrenaline released in response to fear, and some of these responses persist even longer than the noise, occasionally as long as thirty minutes after the sound has ceased.
Because noise is unavoidable in a complex, industrial society, we are constantly responding in the same way that we would respond to danger. Recently, researchers have concluded that noise and our response may be much more than an annoyance. It may be a serious threat to physical and psychological health and well-being, causing damage not only to the ear and brain but also to the heart and stomach. We have long known that hearing loss is America’s number one nonfatal health problem, but now we are learning that some of us with heart disease and ulcers may be victims of noise as well. Fetuses exposed to noise tend to be overactive, they cry easily, and they are more sensitive to gastrointestinal problems after birth. In addition, the psychic effect of noise is very important. Nervousness, irritability, tension, and anxiety increase affecting the quality of rest during sleep, and the efficiency of activities during waking hours, as well as the way that we interact with each other.
96. Which of the following is the author’s main point?
A. Hearing loss is America’s number one nonfatal health problem.
B. Loud noises signal danger.
C. Noise may pose a serious threat to our physical and psychological health.
D. The ear is not like the eye.
97. According to the passage, what is noise in urban area?
A. A by-product of technology.
B. Physical and psychological harm.
C. Congestion.
D. Unwanted sound.
98. Why is noise difficult to measure?
A. It causes hearing loss.
B. All people do not respond to it in the same way.
C. It is unwanted.
D. People become accustomed to it.
99. The word “congested” in paragraph 1 could best be replaced by ___.
A. hazardous
B. crowded
C. polluted
D. rushed
100. The word “it” in the first paragraph refers to ___.
A. the quality of life
B. our advancing technology
C. the noise
D. physical and psychological harm.
101. According to the passage, people respond to loud noises in the same way that they respond to ___.
A. annoyance
B. danger
C. damage
D. disease
102. Which of the following is closest in meaning to the word “accelerate”.
A. cease
B. raise
C. swell
D. increase
103. The phrase “as well as” in paragraph 4 is closest in meaning to ___ which of the following?
A. after all
B. instead
C. also
D. regardless
104. It can be inferred from the passage that the eye ___.
A. responds to fear
B. enjoys greater protection than the ear
C. increases functions
D. is damaged by noise
105. With which of the following statements would the author most probably agree?
A. Noise is not a serious problem today.
B. Noise is America’s number one problem.
C. Noise is an unavoidable problem in an industrial society.
D. Noise is complex problem.
D. WRITING (30.0 pts)
I. Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it means exactly the same as the sentence printed before it. (10.0pts)
106. After fighting the fire for twelve hours the firemen succeeded in putting it out.
→ The firemen managed ……………………………………………………………………………………….
107. The value of Sterling has fallen considerably in the past week.
→ There has ……………………………………………………………………………………………………
108. It was not surprised to hear that Harry had failed his driving test.
→ It came ………………………………………………………………………………………………………
109. The only reason the party was a success was that a famous film star attended.
→ Had it not ……………………………………………………………………………………………………
110. We must continue our efforts, whether there are problems or not.
→ Regardless …………………………………………………………………………………………………..
II. Rewrite the following sentences, using the given words without changing the original meaning; do not change these words. (5.0pts)
00. I do not intend to stay in my present job very much longer. NO
→ I have no intention of staying in my present job very much longer.
111. It is not likely that the effects of global warming can be reserved. LIKELIHOOD
→ There is ………………………………………………………….. reversing the effects of global warming.
112. Some people tend to do better in a pressurised working environment. CONSTANT
→ Some people work better when they are ……………………………………………………………. work.
113. The car was redesigned and, as a result, sales rose rapidly. RESULTED
→ The successful redesigning of the car ……………………………………………………………... in sales.
114. Unless you tell the truth, the school trip will be cancelled. MEAN
→ Your failure ……………………………………………………………. the cancellation of the school trip.
115. The warmth of her welcome surprised me. ABACK
→ I ……………………………………………………………………………………….. her warm welcome.
III. Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first one. Do not change the word given. You must use between two and five words, including the word given. (5.0 pts)
116. The motor in this machine needs cleaning once a week HAS
→ ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
117. The staff in that office all have great respect for their boss. LOOK
118. I was the only person who wanted to watch the programme. ELSE
119. Tim looks nothing like his father at all. TAKE
120. I regret not studying hard at school. ONLY
IV. Think of one word only which can be used appropriately in all three sentences. (5.0 pts) Here is an example (00)
00. My grandfather is 96 but is still able to walk without the _aid__ of a stick.
The electronic tablet is a wonderful new learning _aid__ for use in the classroom.
Flights carrying _aid__ donated by charity organizations are now arriving in the areas affected by drought every day.
121. It's hard to ________________ how tall buildings are when you see them from the air.
I have been asked to ________________ a song-writing competition.
It's a mistake to ________________ people by appearances alone.
122. “I've got to go now, But I'll try to ________________ up with you later in the park”, said Jane.
The organizers agreed to ________________ the costs of clearing up after the pop concert.
The company has failed to ________________ its target for the second consecutive year.
123. Professor Nilsson is оnе of the leading experts in the ________________ of genetic research.
The соmpаnу wanted to purchase the football ____________ so as to build а new supermarket there. The walkers were told that they did not have permission to cross the ________________.
124. The new law means that the tax system will ____________ in a different way from now on.
Before you ____________ this machinery, make sure you are wearing the appropriate safety gear.
The surgeon decided not to ____________ as he felt that the patient's condition would improve without surgery.
125. The restaurant _______________ out of fish quite early on in the evening.
The boat __________________ into a storm as it neared the French coast.
Mrs. Benson __________________ the company single-handed after her husband's death.
(p/s mọi người giúp tớ )

Nữ Thần Mặt Trăng

Cựu Mod Toán
Thành viên
TV BQT tích cực 2017
28 Tháng hai 2017
Hà Nội
THPT Đồng Quan
I. Choose the best word or phrase from A, B C, or D to complete these sentences.
21. Unlike Walt Disney's cartoon chipmunks, which always appear up a tree, real chipmunks _________to stay near their underground burrows in case they to escape from a predator.
A. prefer - need
B. will prefer - have needed
C. have prefered - are needed
D. had prefered - need
22. I waited in Time Square for Alfonzo for more than two hours, but he never _________.
A. hung around
B. showed up
C. pulled off
D. turned in
23. _________ him last week, he wouldn't be in such a trouble now.
A. Were I to help
B. If I helped
C. Had I helped
D. Unless I helped
24. I wish you_________ the trouble to me before so I could help you.
A. would explain
B. had explained
C. hadn't explained
D. hadn’t explained
25. Alsatians and boxers, _________ by professional trainers, can be both guard dogs and pets.
A. if are trained
B. if will be trained
C. if trained
D. if have been trained
26. Had the Millennium Dome not been built, 750 million pounds _________ on health and education.
A. could have been spent . B. could be spent C. will have spent D. could have spent
27. I do not know my uncle is_________ doubt _________ everything he sees.
A. of – for B. in – with C. in – of D. with – about
28. Judging from the speed of mechanization, it _________ that very few things in the world _________ by hand in the 21st century.
A. has been predicted - will be making B. is being predicted - have been made C. will be predicted - were made D. can be predicted - will be made
29. In the novel Zeno's Conscience, Zeno Cosini _________ some events of his life at the insistence of his psychoanalyst.
A. gets by with B. comes down with C. looks back on D. drops out of
30. On the whole, I enjoy _________ our local club, but I think there are far too many rules and regulations ________ completely at ease.
A. attending - to feel B. to attend - to be feeling C. attend – having left D. being attended - feeling
31. We live very far from the station, so she _________ a taxi because she got here just ten minutes after the Arrival of the train.
A. would certainly take B. must have taken C. had to take D. had to have taken
32. _________ else is this tradition observed as keenly as it is in this town.
A. Only when B. Only if C. Whenever D. Nowhere
33. In the Lawless Roads, Graham Green _________ the people of Mexico by describing them in a highly patronizing manner.
A. looks down on B. gets through with C. runs out of D. backs out of
34. _________ between the two attacks, the commander tried to prevent the enemy troops _________ their strength.
A. Having delayed - without gathering B. In delaying - for gathering C. Without delaying - to gather D. By not delaying - from gathering
35. _________ gills, lungfish also have lungs, enabling them to live both in and out of water.
A. Nevertheless B. Moreover C. In addition to D. Whereas
36. _________ you listen to what is actually being said, _________ you will understand what is meant.
A. The harder - the better B. The hardest - the best C. As hard - so well D. Too hard - so good
37. Although Peter is very good at French, he usually fails to get full marks on his tests because he doesn't read the questions _________ to notice the subtle differences in the grammar.
A. as carefully B. so carefully C. more carefully D. carefully enough
38. Mr. David, _________ honour the reception will be held next Saturday, has worked for this company for exactly fifty years.
A. about what B. in whose C. for whom D. that
39. The new personnel manager told us that he had visited _________ countries in Europe.
A. much B. a great deal of C. a number of D. as many
40. The man _________ on the chair behind me kept talking during the film, _________ really annoyed me.
A. sitting – which B. having sat – that C. was sitting - which D. sitting - who

II. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate form of the words in parentheses.
EAT MORE FRUIT AND VEGETABLES
A recent report on the (0) eating habits of children in Britain suggests that children from the age of three to sixteen show a strong (41. LIKE) .........dislike........... for vegetables and only eat (42. SUFFICE) .........sufficient............ amounts of fruit and vegetables at Christmas. One researcher says not eating (43. PROPER) ..........properly........... may have serious consequences on a child’s (44. SPEAK) .............speech........... and physical development, resulting in poorer performance at school. One (45. SOLVE) ..........solution............. is to give children extra iron and vitamins but in the long run it is more (46. EFFECT) ............effective............... if children get the right ingredients in their (47. DAY) ............daily.............. diet. (48. FORTUNATE) ...............Unfortunately..........., parents choose food for their children that is quick and (49. CONVENIENCE) ...............convenient........... to prepare, rather than food which is fresh and healthy. (50. CONSEQUENCE) ............Consequently..........., it is difficult later to get children to change their habits.

III. Each line in the following passage has one missing word. Put an oblique stroke ( / ) where the word has been omitted and write the missing word in each blank. The first one has been done for you. (5.0 pts)
Three people jumped out a car on a busy Oxford road after a fire started under bonnet this morning. They were just able to rescue their possessions before the car burst flames. Mr Peter Collins, 25, of Wey Road, Berinsfield was driving Avenger estate car home from work his two friends when he noticed smoke coming into the car. He stopped, but was unable open the bonnet. He poured a bottle of water over the radiator where the smoke was coming from, but could not put the flames. He then ran to get fire extinguishers a nearby garage, but these also failed to have any effect. Finally, he telephoned for a fire engine, but the time it arrived, the car was totally burst out.
00. _______of ________ 51. _________the_________ 52. __________into________ 53. __________his________ 54. __________with________ 55. _________to_________ 56. __________of________ 57. _________out_________ 58. __________from________ 59. _________by_________ 60. __________was________

IV. Give the correct form of the verb in brackets to complete the following passage. (10.0 pts)
When my mother finally became too old to live alone, we decided that she should stay with us in town. I was (61. surprise) ____surprised_____ at the amount of furniture she had. All those ancient chest of drawers and wardrobes, antique armchairs and settees, valuable vases, pictures of our ancestors in golden frames and many other decorations that she had been collecting for years. There definitely was no room in our flat to store all that, so we had to leave it in her house. I always (62. intend) _____intended____ to clear it out and sell the place, but somehow I kept (63. put) ____putting_____ it off. One night I woke suddenly at four o'clock, almost in tears. I was extremely upset with a dream in which I saw two men (64. break) _____break____ a window, climb into my mother's house, and start walking from room to room looking for the most valuable among her belongings. Then the burglars (65. hear) ____must have heard_____ someone's voice outside or a door (66. close) _____ was closed_____ because they dropped the old beautiful mirror they (67. carry) ______were carrying_______ and left in a hurry. The dream made me feel very guilty that I (68. not / take) ____had not taken_____ better care of the house. Later that morning I received a phone call from a lady who lived next door to the house. To my astonishment, she told me that it had been broken into during the night. Fortunately, something must have disturbed the burglars because they left without (69. take) _____taking_____ anything. I didn't want (70. believe) ______to believe______ in the supernatural, but now I'm not so sure!

PART C. READING (25.0 pts)
I. Choose one word/phrase from A, B, C or D which best completes each gap of the passage, then write the word onto your answer sheet. The first one has been done for you. (5.0 pts)
TORNADOES AND TYPHOONS
People often (00) B. confuse typhoons and tornadoes, even though they are very different. Both are extremely destructive weather phenomina, with very (71) ____A. strong_____ winds, but the similarity ends there. Typhoons, also known as hurricanes, form only on water. They are such large storms that we can see them clearly only from the space. In a satellite photograph, a typhoon (72) ____B. looks_____ like an enormous circular blanket of thick cloud. It may have a small hole in the centre, (73) ____A. called_____ an "eye". Tornadoes, on the other hand, are much smaller. A person on the ground can easily (74) _____B. take____ a photo of a tornado, although it might be a dangerous thing to do. It would be much wiser to look for (75) ____A. shelter_____ than to hunt for your camera if a tornado is coming your (76) ______D. way___ . Unlike typhoons, tornadoes can form over both land and water. When a tornado (77) _________ over a lake or the sea, it can create a waterspout which can be well over a kilometre in (78) _________. Just like tornadoes over land, waterspouts can (79) _________ and transport some interesting objects. There have, for instance, been reports of fish being carried through the air and (80) _________ onto boats.
00. A. mistake B. confuse C. mix D. combine
71. A. strong B. big C. huge D. firm
72. A. sees B. looks C. views D. watches
73. A. called B. titled C. said D. told
74. A. fix B. take C. pull D. make
75. A. shelter B. asylum C. hiding D. defence
76. A. road B. direction C. route D. way
77. A. gains B. increases C. develops D. (Câu này ko có đáp án D)
78→80 ko có đáp án ^^

II. Read the passage and fill in each blank with one suitable word (15.0 pts)

I have always found it difficult to say (00) for certain what my memories from my (81) ____early_____ childhood are. Are (82) ____our_____ memories learnt at a later age from overhearing our parents tell of our exploits? Well, there is a particular incident that I would love to claim as a genuine memory. When I was (83) _____about____ three years old, I went to the post office with my mother (84) _____because____ she was going to buy some stamps. While she was being served, I happened to notice a small stocking (85) ____which_____ was hanging from the counter. It was there (86) ____to_____ collect contributions for a charity for (87) ____the_____ blind. While her back was turned, I took the stocking and emptied (88) ____its_____ contents into my coat pocket. Of course, I was (89) ____too / very_____ young to know any better. When it was realized what I (90) ____had_____ done, everybody roared with laughter (91) ____except_____, that is, for my mother who was a little embarrassed. She (92) ___immediately______ emptied the money back into the stocking (93) _____and____ incidentally, a few pennies of my (94) ___own______. One of the clerks was something of an amateur cartoonist and he made a drawing of me robbing an old lady. This cartoon (95) ____was_____ displayed in the post office for the next couple of years.

III. Read the following passage and choose the best answer (A, B C, or D) to complete each sentence. (5.0 pts)
Although noise, commonly defined as unwanted sound, is a widely recognized form of pollution, it is very difficult to measure because the discomfort experienced by different individuals is highly subjective and, therefore, variable. Exposure to lower levels of noise may be slightly irritating, whereas exposure to higher levels may actually cause hearing loss. Particularly in congested urban areas, the noise produced as a by-product of our advancing technology causes physical and psychological harm, and detracts from the quality of life for those who are exposed to it.
Unlike the eyes, which can be covered by the eyelids against strong light, the ear has no lid, and is, therefore, always open and vulnerable; noise penetrates without protection.
Noise causes effects that the hearer cannot control and to which the body never becomes accustomed. Loud noises instinctively signal danger to any organism with a hearing mechanism, including human beings. In response, heartbeat and respiration accelerate, blood vessels constrict, the skin pales, and muscles tense. In fact, there is a general increase in functioning brought about by the flow of adrenaline released in response to fear, and some of these responses persist even longer than the noise, occasionally as long as thirty minutes after the sound has ceased.
Because noise is unavoidable in a complex, industrial society, we are constantly responding in the same way that we would respond to danger. Recently, researchers have concluded that noise and our response may be much more than an annoyance. It may be a serious threat to physical and psychological health and well-being, causing damage not only to the ear and brain but also to the heart and stomach. We have long known that hearing loss is America’s number one nonfatal health problem, but now we are learning that some of us with heart disease and ulcers may be victims of noise as well. Fetuses exposed to noise tend to be overactive, they cry easily, and they are more sensitive to gastrointestinal problems after birth. In addition, the psychic effect of noise is very important. Nervousness, irritability, tension, and anxiety increase affecting the quality of rest during sleep, and the efficiency of activities during waking hours, as well as the way that we interact with each other.

96. Which of the following is the author’s main point?
A. Hearing loss is America’s number one nonfatal health problem.
B. Loud noises signal danger.
C. Noise may pose a serious threat to our physical and psychological health.
D. The ear is not like the eye.
97. According to the passage, what is noise in urban area?
A. A by-product of technology.
B. Physical and psychological harm.
C. Congestion.
D. Unwanted sound.
98. Why is noise difficult to measure?
A. It causes hearing loss.
B. All people do not respond to it in the same way.
C. It is unwanted.
D. People become accustomed to it.
99. The word “congested” in paragraph 1 could best be replaced by ___.
A. hazardous
B. crowded
C. polluted
D. rushed
100. The word “it” in the first paragraph refers to ___.
A. the quality of life
B. our advancing technology
C. the noise
D. physical and psychological harm.
101. According to the passage, people respond to loud noises in the same way that they respond to ___.
A. annoyance
B. danger
C. damage
D. disease
102. Which of the following is closest in meaning to the word “accelerate”.
A. cease
B. raise
C. swell
D. increase
103. The phrase “as well as” in paragraph 4 is closest in meaning to ___ which of the following?
A. after all
B. instead
C. also
D. regardless
104. It can be inferred from the passage that the eye ___.
A. responds to fear
B. enjoys greater protection than the ear
C. increases functions
D. is damaged by noise
105. With which of the following statements would the author most probably agree?
A. Noise is not a serious problem today.
B. Noise is America’s number one problem.
C. Noise is an unavoidable problem in an industrial society.
D. Noise is complex problem.
D. WRITING (30.0 pts)

I. Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it means exactly the same as the sentence printed before it. (10.0pts)
106. After fighting the fire for twelve hours the firemen succeeded in putting it out.
→ The firemen managed to put the fire out after fighting it for twelve hours
107. The value of Sterling has fallen considerably in the past week.
→ There has been a considerable fall in the value of Sterling in the past week.
108. It was not surprised to hear that Harry had failed his driving test.
→ It came as no surprise to me that Harry had failed his driving test.
109. The only reason the party was a success was that a famous film star attended.
→ Had it not been for the attendance of a famous film star, the party wouldn't have been a success
110. We must continue our efforts, whether there are problems or not.
→ Regardless of whatever problems, we must continue our efforts.

II. Rewrite the following sentences, using the given words without changing the original meaning; do not change these words. (5.0pts)
00. I do not intend to stay in my present job very much longer. NO
→ I have no intention of staying in my present job very much longer.
111. It is not likely that the effects of global warming can be reserved. LIKELIHOOD
→ There is ………no likelihood of…….. reversing the effects of global warming.
112. Some people tend to do better in a pressurised working environment. CONSTANT
→ Some people work better when they are ………………under constant pressure at……………. work.
113. The car was redesigned and, as a result, sales rose rapidly. RESULTED
→ The successful redesigning of the car ………………resulted in an increase……………………... in sales.
114. Unless you tell the truth, the school trip will be cancelled. MEAN
→ Your failure ……………to tell the truth will mean…………………. the cancellation of the school trip.
115. The warmth of her welcome surprised me. ABACK
→ I ……………was taken aback by…………….. her warm welcome.

III. Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first one. Do not change the word given. You must use between two and five words, including the word given. (5.0 pts)
116. The motor in this machine needs cleaning once a week HAS
The motor in this machine has to be cleaned once a week.
117. The staff in that office all have great respect for their boss. LOOK
The staff in that office all look up to their boss.
118. I was the only person who wanted to watch the programme. ELSE
There was no one else except me watching the programme.
119. Tim looks nothing like his father at all. TAKE
Tim doesn't take after his father at all.
120. I regret not studying hard at school. ONLY
Only if I had studied hard at school.

IV. Think of one word only which can be used appropriately in all three sentences. (5.0 pts) Here is an example (00)
00. My grandfather is 96 but is still able to walk without the _aid__ of a stick.
The electronic tablet is a wonderful new learning _aid__ for use in the classroom.
Flights carrying _aid__ donated by charity organizations are now arriving in the areas affected by drought every day.
122. 123. 124. 125.
121. It's hard to _________judge_______ how tall buildings are when you see them from the air.
I have been asked to _______judge_________ a song-writing competition.
It's a mistake to ______judge__________ people by appearances alone.
122. “I've got to go now, But I'll try to _______catch_________ up with you later in the park”, said Jane.
The organizers agreed to ________catch________ the costs of clearing up after the pop concert.
The company has failed to ________catch________ its target for the second consecutive year.
123. Professor Nilsson is оnе of the leading experts in the _________field_______ of genetic research.
The соmpаnу wanted to purchase the football _______field_____ so as to build а new supermarket there. The walkers were told that they did not have permission to cross the _______field_________.
124. The new law means that the tax system will ______operate______ in a different way from now on.
Before you _____operate_______ this machinery, make sure you are wearing the appropriate safety gear.
The surgeon decided not to ______operate______ as he felt that the patient's condition would improve without surgery.
125. The restaurant ______ran_________ out of fish quite early on in the evening.
The boat _________ran_________ into a storm as it neared the French coast.
Mrs. Benson ______ran____________ the company single-handed after her husband's death.

Top Bottom