Cựu TMod tiếng Anh | CN CLB Địa Lí
Thành viên
28 Tháng tám 2017
Nghệ An
Nghệ An
๖ۣۜɮօռìǟƈɛ❦
[TẶNG BẠN] TRỌN BỘ Bí kíp học tốt 08 môn
Chắc suất Đại học top - Giữ chỗ ngay!!

ĐĂNG BÀI NGAY để cùng trao đổi với các thành viên siêu nhiệt tình & dễ thương trên diễn đàn.

Hi guys!
:Tuzki33Chào các bạn, Idioms là một trong những dạng bài "khó nhằn" trong mỗi bài kiểm tra của chúng ta. Hãy cùng mình tìm hiểu về các idiom này nhé:Tuzki32

ACTIONS & BEHAVIOUR
1. accidentally on purpose (a): seemingly accidental but with a secret motive.
--> If you do something intentionally, but pretend it was an accident, you do it accidentally on purpose. :cool:
E.g: "I accidentally on purpose missed the meeting time, so I couldn't go there."

2. add fuel to the flames: an action which describe a situation when matter is been made worse deliberately by someone.
--> If you add fuel to the flames, you do or say something that makes a difficult situation even worse.
E.g: "Susan forgot her best friend's birthday, and her apologies only added fuel to the flames."

3. all ears: to say that you are all ears means the others has got your full attention in terms of listening to them.
E.g: "Of course I want to know - I'm all ears!

4. answer the call of nature/ answer nature's call: When a person answers the call of nature, they go to the toilet. :rolleyes:
E.g: "I had to get up in the middle of the night to answer the call of nature."

5. backseat driver:
  • A passenger in a car who gives unwanted advice to the driver is called a backseat driver.
  • any person who gives unwanted advice instead of helping or understanding
E.g: "I can't stand backseat drivers like my mother-in-law!"

6. badger someone
--> If you badger someone into doing something, you persistently nag or pester them until you obtain what you want.
E.g: "Sophia badgered her parents into buying her an Iphone 13"

7. balancing act: to appease two or more groups having difference of opinion or action
--> When you try to satisfy two or more people or groups who have different needs, and keep everyone happy, you perform a balancing act.
E.g: "Many people, especially women, have to perform a balancing act between work and family."

8. bare your heart / soul
--> If you bare you soul (or heart) to someone, you reveal your innermost thoughts and feelings to them.
E.g: "I can’t make out why I bared my heart to him although we didn’t know each other that well."

9. bark up wrong tree: take a wrong approach to something
E.g: "If you think you will solve the problem by following those steps, you are barking up the wrong tree"

10. beat a (hasty) retreat: leave a place because it is dangerous or unpleasant :eek:
E.g: "My wife seems to be in a very bad mood today. I am going to beat a hasty retreat before I make it worse."
Nguồn: The Idioms
(Còn tiếp)
Buổi tối tốt lành :Tonton4

Last edited:

Nguyễn Thị Ngọc Bảo

Thành viên
28 Tháng tám 2017
Nghệ An
Nghệ An
๖ۣۜɮօռìǟƈɛ❦
(_Cont_)
11. be one's best bet
--> The action or idea that is most likely to be successful.
E.g: "At this time, running is your best bet"
12. bide your time: wait for a good opportunity to do something
E.g: "He's not hesitating, he's just biding his time, waiting for the price to drop."
13. binge drinking
--> This term refers to heavy drinking where large quantities of alcohol are consumed in a short space of time, often among young people in rowdy groups.
E.g: "Binge drinking is becoming a major problem in some European countries."

14. on the bottle
--> A person who drinks alcohol often and regularly is on the bottle.
E.g: "John went on the bottle when he lost his job."

15. bite hand that feeds you
--> used for used for people who do not show respect for the one who has helped them.
E.g: "I would never bite the hand that feeds me, Sir. My morals are not so low."

16. blot one's copy book
--> To tarnish, damage, or ruin one's reputation by behaving badly or committing some mistake or social transgression.
E.g: "He blotted his copy-book when he was arrested for speeding."

17. break every rule in the book
--> If you behave in a completely unacceptable way, you break every rule in the book.
E.g: "Our competitors obtained the contract by breaking every rule in the book."

18. breathe down somebody's neck
--> To monitor someone closely, usually in an overbearing and irritating way.
--> To be physically close to someone in an unnerving or unwanted way.
E.g: "The atmosphere at work is not great; the boss keeps breathing down our necks all the time."

19. build bridges
-->To foster good relationships
E.g: "Teachers want to build bridges with other students in the class"

20. burn your bridges: eliminate all possible methods of going back to the prior state of affairs
--> If you burn your bridges, you do something that will be impossible to rectify in the future.
E.g: " If you don’t get along, keep your distance but never burn bridges."

Nguồn: The Idioms
Buối tối tốt lành:MIM32

Nguyễn Thị Ngọc Bảo

Thành viên
28 Tháng tám 2017
Nghệ An
Nghệ An
๖ۣۜɮօռìǟƈɛ❦
_Cont_
21. burn the candle at both ends: làm việc hết sức, ko giữ sức
--> To exhaust yourself by doing too much, especially going to bed late and getting up early.
E.g: "Emmy looks exhausted - I'll bet she's been burning the candle at both ends lately."

22. burn your fingers: nhận kết quả tệ, mất tiền
--> To suffer financially as a result of foolish behaviour.
E.g: "Jack got his fingers burnt playing on the stock market."

23. bury one's head in the sand: nhắm mắt làm ngơ
--> To refuse to face the unpleasant reality by pretending that the situation doesn't exist.
E.g: "It's no good burying your head in the sand. We've got a problem on our hands."

24. bury the hatchet: giảng hòa
--> When people who have had a disagreement decide to forget their quarrel and become friends again, they bury the hatchet.
E.g: "I didn't agree with my colleague's decision, but for the sake of peace I decided to bury the hatchet."

25. butter somebody up: nịnh bợ
--> To flatter them or you are very nice to them, especially if you want to obtain something.
E.g: "He was so keen to get the job that he spent his time buttering up the boss."

26. call someone's bluff: thách thức (để vạch trần ai đó)
--> If you call someone's bluff, you challenge them to do what they threaten to do (while believing that they will not dare to do it).
E.g: "Will claimed that he could run faster than me, but when I called his bluff, he suddenly remember he had a meeting"

27. call it quits: ngừng hoạt động
--> When people temporarily stop doing something or put an end to an activity, they call it quits.
E.g: "OK, we're all exhausted, so let's call it quits for today."

28. call a spade a spade: nói thẳng
--> A person who calls a spade a spade speaks openly and truthfully about something, especially difficult matters.
E.g: "What I like about the new deskmate is that he calls a spade a spade - it makes things so much easier for everyone."

29. cap in hand: nói một cách tôn trọng
--> If you do something cap in hand, you ask for something in a very respectful manner.
E.g: "They went to the teacher, cap in hand, and asked for more time to complete their project."
Buổi tối tốt lành:Rabbit18

Top Bottom