English THCS Read the passage

Minh Tín

Học sinh tiến bộ
Thành viên
22 Tháng mười 2017
[TẶNG BẠN] TRỌN BỘ Bí kíp học tốt 08 môn
Chắc suất Đại học top - Giữ chỗ ngay!!

ĐĂNG BÀI NGAY để cùng trao đổi với các thành viên siêu nhiệt tình & dễ thương trên diễn đàn.

A Maiden in Distress

As I crawled along the motorway, I was having second thoughts about staying with Marcus. I'd been in two minds about going in the first place, but it was sweet of him to invite me, and I wasn't tied up, so I said, "Yes". But now it dawned on me that he may have had an ulterior motive: he wanted to go out with me! How could I be so thick? Marcus was very nice, but a romantic relationship was the last thing on my mind. How can I go out of this, I wondered? Just as the traffic started to speed up, something went into the back of me and send the car flying off the road. Dazed but OK, I pulled my mobile out of my bad. "Is that you, Marcus? Listen, you're not gonna believe this, but..."

(Oxford Word Skills Advanced, by Ruth Gairns and Stuart Redman)
A/ Read the passage and the following sentences and decide which answer has the closest meaning to the sentence.
1. As I crawled along the motorway, I was having second thoughts about staying with Marcus.
A. The girl regretted staying with Marcus, while she was crawling on the ground, along the highway.
B. The girl had doubts about her staying with Marcus, while she was travelling slowly along the highway.
C. Hardly had the girl realized her mistakes about staying with Marcus when she was on the highway.
D. The girl was upset about Marcus's staying with her, which made her crawl along the highway.

2. Just as the traffic started to speed up, something went into the back of me and send the car flying off the road.
A. The girl had a car accident because something was behind her back.
B. Hardly had the girl caught up in a car accident when she was worrying about Marcus.
C. As the traffic started becoming faster, she sped up her car without control.
D. Without any control of her own, she was involved in a car accident during the traffic.

B/ Read these statements and decide if each statement is:
True if the statement agrees with the information in the passage.
False if the statement contradicts the information in the passage.
Not Given if there is no information on this in the passage.
1) The girl immediately decided that she would stay with Marcus.
2) The girl accepted Marcus's invitation because she wasn't busy then.
3) The girl realized Marcus's true intention in the first place.
4) Marcus gave the girl some time to rethink her decisions.
5) It's very unlikely that her falling in love with Marcus is the first to cross her mind.
6) The girl called Marcus because she had a car accident.
7) The girl called Marcus to say something unwelcome.
8) The girl suspected that Marcus was hiding his true intentions of hanging out with her.
9) The girl was thinking of a way to reject Marcus's invitation.
10) The girl didn't love Marcus the whole time.

Reactions: Iam_lucky_girl

Minh Tín

Học sinh tiến bộ
Thành viên
22 Tháng mười 2017
A Maiden in Distress

As I crawled along the motorway, I was having second thoughts about staying with Marcus. I'd been in two minds about going in the first place, but it was sweet of him to invite me, and I wasn't tied up, so I said, "Yes". But now it dawned on me that he may have had an ulterior motive: he wanted to go out with me! How could I be so thick? Marcus was very nice, but a romantic relationship was the last thing on my mind. How can I go out of this, I wondered? Just as the traffic started to speed up, something went into the back of me and send the car flying off the road. Dazed but OK, I pulled my mobile out of my bad. "Is that you, Marcus? Listen, you're not gonna believe this, but..."

(Oxford Word Skills Advanced, by Ruth Gairns and Stuart Redman)
A/ Read the passage and the following sentences and decide which answer has the closest meaning to the sentence.
1. As I crawled along the motorway, I was having second thoughts about staying with Marcus.
A. The girl regretted staying with Marcus, while she was crawling on the ground, along the highway.
B. The girl had doubts about her staying with Marcus, while she was travelling slowly along the highway.
C. Hardly had the girl realized her mistakes about staying with Marcus when she was on the highway.
D. The girl was upset about Marcus's staying with her, which made her crawl along the highway.

2. Just as the traffic started to speed up, something went into the back of me and send the car flying off the road.
A. The girl had a car accident because something was behind her back.
B. Hardly had the girl caught up in a car accident when she was worrying about Marcus.
C. As the traffic started becoming faster, she sped up her car without control.
D. Without any control of her own, she was involved in a car accident during the traffic.

B/ Read these statements and decide if each statement is:
True if the statement agrees with the information in the passage.
False if the statement contradicts the information in the passage.
Not Given if there is no information on this in the passage.
1) The girl immediately decided that she would stay with Marcus.
2) The girl accepted Marcus's invitation because she wasn't busy then.
3) The girl realized Marcus's true intention in the first place.
4) Marcus gave the girl some time to rethink her decisions.
5) It's very unlikely that her falling in love with Marcus is the first to cross her mind.
6) The girl called Marcus because she had a car accident.
7) The girl called Marcus to say something unwelcome.
8) The girl suspected that Marcus was hiding his true intentions of hanging out with her.
9) The girl was thinking of a way to reject Marcus's invitation.
10) The girl didn't love Marcus the whole time.
A/
1.B 2.C
B/
1. F 2.T 3F 4NG 5T 6F 7T 8T 9T 10NG

Reactions: anbinhf
Top Bottom