Guided cloze

V

vanity

[TẶNG BẠN] TRỌN BỘ Bí kíp học tốt 08 môn
Chắc suất Đại học top - Giữ chỗ ngay!!

ĐĂNG BÀI NGAY để cùng trao đổi với các thành viên siêu nhiệt tình & dễ thương trên diễn đàn.

It appears that a rainy day is defined as one that includes four hours of rain between 9 in the morning and 5 in the evening. Being nine-tenths water, I am not bothered when a drop (1)………….falls on me from the skies. That is if it’s pure sky-distilled water, of course, and not one of the acid brews though even from a stiff acid downpor near the Danube in Hungary, I’ve never yet (2)…………………my clothes dissolve. The occasional shower is more than welcome and when it comes down cats and dogs, it stirs one’s Vilking blood.
Those who feel this way are fortunate (3)……………………travelers. When rain falls, then so do prices. Cultivate the rainy seasons for cheap, independent travelling. Heavy relentless rain is a perfect (4)……………………not to climb a mountain or cross a rope bridge above a swollen river. Besides, after the rain the world is brillant. It seems (5)…………………from the anecdotal evidence that all over the world rain is failing at times when it shouldn’t, and I often find local citizens (6)………………to me for these solecisms of the climate. No offence (7)………….. I reply, it reminds me of home.
Not everybody shares this view of rain, and with a row of sodden offspring trailing in my (8)………….., grumbling about the low grade of entertainment, I too might class the episode as a marred holiday. People in this sort of predicament persecuted by mischievous rain gods, prompted the revelation this week of a wheeze called Hoilday Rain Insurance, (9)………..to be the first of its kind. Now there’s nothing new abour insurance against the havoc caused by robust weather to public events. I remember (10)………………..a legal umbrella against the showers that might drive away my audience for an open-air theatre production. The document was called a Pluvius Policy: no doubt Plautus and Terence had the same worry – though not Seneca, because his plays were meant for reading indoors !
A. again
B. other
C. more
D. also
A. been
B. gone
C. suffered
D. had
A. as
B. for
C. being
D. such
A. execuse
B. grounds
C. evasion
D. disguise
A. likely
B. bound
C. probably
D. liable
A. bemoaning
B. apologizing
C. blaming
D. complaining
A. believed
B. suffered
C. understood
D. taken
A. queue
B. waves
C. wake
D. row
A. challenged
B. claimed
C. demanded
D. insisted
A. rising
B. arousing
C. raising
D. arising

M

maxqn

It appears that a rainy day is defined as one that includes four hours of rain between 9 in the morning and 5 in the evening. Being nine-tenths water, I am not bothered when a drop (1)………….falls on me from the skies. That is if it’s pure sky-distilled water, of course, and not one of the acid brews though even from a stiff acid downpor near the Danube in Hungary, I’ve never yet (2)…………………my clothes dissolve. The occasional shower is more than welcome and when it comes down cats and dogs, it stirs one’s Vilking blood.
Those who feel this way are fortunate (3)……………………travelers. When rain falls, then so do prices. Cultivate the rainy seasons for cheap, independent travelling. Heavy relentless rain is a perfect (4)……………………not to climb a mountain or cross a rope bridge above a swollen river. Besides, after the rain the world is brillant. It seems (5)…………………from the anecdotal evidence that all over the world rain is failing at times when it shouldn’t, and I often find local citizens (6)………………to me for these solecisms of the climate. No offence (7)………….. I reply, it reminds me of home.
Not everybody shares this view of rain, and with a row of sodden offspring trailing in my (8)………….., grumbling about the low grade of entertainment, I too might class the episode as a marred holiday. People in this sort of predicament persecuted by mischievous rain gods, prompted the revelation this week of a wheeze called Hoilday Rain Insurance, (9)………..to be the first of its kind. Now there’s nothing new abour insurance against the havoc caused by robust weather to public events. I remember (10)………………..a legal umbrella against the showers that might drive away my audience for an open-air theatre production. The document was called a Pluvius Policy: no doubt Plautus and Terence had the same worry – though not Seneca, because his plays were meant for reading indoors !
A. again
B. other
C. more
D. also
A. been
B. gone
C. suffered
D. had
A. as
B. for
C. being
D. such
A. excuse ?
B. grounds
C. evasion
D. disguise
A. likely
B. bound
C. probably
D. liable
A. bemoaning
B. apologizing
C. blaming
D. complaining
A. believed
B. suffered
C. understood
D. taken
A. queue
B. waves
C. wake
D. row
A. challenged
B. claimed
C. demanded
D. insisted
A. rising
B. arousing
C. raising
D. arising

^^

V

vanity

Guided Cloze 2

A FUTURE IN THE DARK
For many of us, we are working, travelling, and shopping in hours that used to be(1)……… for relaxation, and sleep. But according to the results of tests being (2)……..by scientists, we are nolonger getting enogh darkness in our lives. In fact, (3) …………shows that a growing number of health and environmental problems are due to a loss of darkness.
Life has evolved with a day/ night circle. People who go (4)…………this day/night rhythm will notice an adverse impact on their immune systems, and that’s not a good sign. We are (5)…………..a conflict between what our mind wants, and what our internal body clock prepares us for. Some experts explain that our biological clock is similar to the conductor of an orchestra, with the multiple rhythms of the body (6)………..the various orchestra sections.
The body clock is (7)……….on the light/dark cycle and it governs us for every (8)………….of activity and rest in our lives. It ensures that all our various internal systems are working together- this is its sole(9)…………By moving to 24-hour living, and not taking into (10)…………the dark side, we will effectively be throwing away the advantages of evolution (11) ………..we care to admit it or not.
1. A.conserved B.reserved C.upheld D.defended
2. A.carried out B.carried through C.carried out D.carried off
3. A.discovery B.display C.research D.foundation
4. A.down B.without C.through D.behind
5. A.considering B.contributing C.giving D.creating
6. A.describing B.corresponding C.expressing D.representing
7. A.founded B.based C.decided D.established
8. A.prospect B.attitude C.position D.type
9. A.reason B.purpose C.project D.desire
10. A.interest B.importance C.detail D.account
11. A.so that B.whether C.unless D.in case

MARATHON
Marathon was the site of one of the most important (1)……………………in the history of Western civilization. There, in 490B.C, a Greek army (2)……………………………an invading army of Persians and saved Greece from becoming part of the Persian Empire.Marathon is a coastal plain about 25 miles northeast of Athens, Greece.
Beginning in 499 B.C, Greeks living under Persian (3)……………………in Asia, Minor (now Turkey) rebelled against King Darius I of Persia. The Athenians sent soldiers and 20 ships to aid the rebels. Then the Greek(4)……….attacked and burned Sardis, a city that served as Darius’s capital in Asia Minor. Darius vowed that he would …(5)……………….revenge on the Athenians by conquering and burning Athens. In 490B.C, Darius sent one of his generals, with an army and a (6)………… of about 200 ships to conquer Athens. The Persians first destroyed the city Eretria, and then sailed for Marathon. The Athenian general Miltiades positioned the Athenian troops on the inland edge of the plain. The Persians occupied the seaward (7)…………..
A few days later, the Persian leaders, hoping that civil war had broken (8)…………..in Athens, loaded part of thrir forces on ships. The Persians on the ships prepared to sail to Athens and attack the city. Seeing their chance for a victory, the Athenians attacked the army of Persians and that remained on the plain. The Greeks surrounded and thoroughly defeated the Perdians at Marathon. According to (9)……………., Miltiades sent the runner Pheidippides from Marathon to Athens with news of the Athenian victory. Pheidippides (10)…………..the 25 miles to Athens at top speed, delivered his message, and fell to the ground, dead. Today, the word marathon refers to a foot race of 26 miles 385 yards (42.2 kilometers) or of similar length.
  • A. fields B.battles C.aspects D.events
  • A.lost B.won C.defeated D.gained
  • A.rule B.reign C.authorities D.government
  • A.army B.forces C.military D.navy
  • A.put B.do C.make D.take
  • A.train B.fleet C.herd D.chain
  • A.rim B.brim C.edge D.Side
  • A.down B.out C.away D.up
  • A.history B.record C.custom D.tradition
  • A.raced B.ran C.jogged D.galloped

M

maxqn

A FUTURE IN THE DARK
For many of us, we are working, travelling, and shopping in hours that used to be(1)……… for relaxation, and sleep. But according to the results of tests being (2)……..by scientists, we are nolonger getting enogh darkness in our lives. In fact, (3) …………shows that a growing number of health and environmental problems are due to a loss of darkness.
Life has evolved with a day/ night circle. People who go (4)…………this day/night rhythm will notice an adverse impact on their immune systems, and that’s not a good sign. We are (5)…………..a conflict between what our mind wants, and what our internal body clock prepares us for. Some experts explain that our biological clock is similar to the conductor of an orchestra, with the multiple rhythms of the body (6)………..the various orchestra sections.
The body clock is (7)……….on the light/dark cycle and it governs us for every (8)………….of activity and rest in our lives. It ensures that all our various internal systems are working together- this is its sole(9)…………By moving to 24-hour living, and not taking into (10)…………the dark side, we will effectively be throwing away the advantages of evolution (11) ………..we care to admit it or not.
1. A.conserved B.reserved C.upheld D.defended
2. A.carried out B.carried through C.carried out D.carried off
3. A.discovery B.display C.research D.foundation
4. A.down B.without C.through D.behind
5. A.considering B.contributing C.giving D.creating
6. A.describing B.corresponding C.expressing D.representing
7. A.founded B.based C.decided D.established
8. A.prospect B.attitude C.position D.type
9. A.reason B.purpose C.project D.desire
10. A.interest B.importance C.detail D.account
11. A.so that B.whether C.unless D.in case

MARATHON

Marathon was the site of one of the most important (1)……………………in the history of Western civilization. There, in 490B.C, a Greek army (2)……………………………an invading army of Persians and saved Greece from becoming part of the Persian Empire.Marathon is a coastal plain about 25 miles northeast of Athens, Greece.
Beginning in 499 B.C, Greeks living under Persian (3)……………………in Asia, Minor (now Turkey) rebelled against King Darius I of Persia. The Athenians sent soldiers and 20 ships to aid the rebels. Then the Greek(4)……….attacked and burned Sardis, a city that served as Darius’s capital in Asia Minor. Darius vowed that he would …(5)……………….revenge on the Athenians by conquering and burning Athens. In 490B.C, Darius sent one of his generals, with an army and a (6)………… of about 200 ships to conquer Athens. The Persians first destroyed the city Eretria, and then sailed for Marathon. The Athenian general Miltiades positioned the Athenian troops on the inland edge of the plain. The Persians occupied the seaward (7)…………..
A few days later, the Persian leaders, hoping that civil war had broken (8)…………..in Athens, loaded part of thrir forces on ships. The Persians on the ships prepared to sail to Athens and attack the city. Seeing their chance for a victory, the Athenians attacked the army of Persians and that remained on the plain. The Greeks surrounded and thoroughly defeated the Perdians at Marathon. According to (9)……………., Miltiades sent the runner Pheidippides from Marathon to Athens with news of the Athenian victory. Pheidippides (10)…………..the 25 miles to Athens at top speed, delivered his message, and fell to the ground, dead. Today, the word marathon refers to a foot race of 26 miles 385 yards (42.2 kilometers) or of similar length.
  • A. fields B.battles C.aspects D.events
  • A.lost B.won C.defeated D.gained
  • A.rule B.reign C.authorities D.government
  • A.army B.forces C.military D.navy
  • A.put B.do C.make D.take
  • A.train B.fleet C.herd D.chain
  • A.rim B.brim C.edge D.Side
  • A.down B.out C.away D.up
  • A.history B.record C.custom D.tradition
  • A.raced B.ran C.jogged D.galloped

Top Bottom