Phạm Dương

Cựu Cố vấn tiếng Anh
Thành viên
24 Tháng mười 2018
Hà Nội
Đại học Thương Mại
[TẶNG BẠN] TRỌN BỘ Bí kíp học tốt 08 môn
Chắc suất Đại học top - Giữ chỗ ngay!!

ĐĂNG BÀI NGAY để cùng trao đổi với các thành viên siêu nhiệt tình & dễ thương trên diễn đàn.

Vocabulary:
- Dart (n): môn ném phi tiêu
- Do-it-yourself (DIY): tự làm
- Engrave (v): chạm, khắc
- Entry qualification (n): điều kiện nhập học
- Musical instrument (n): nhạc cụ
- On offer (exp): đã mở, có sẵn
- Recreation (n): sự tiêu khiển
- Sophisticated (adj): phức tạp, rắc rối
- Spectator sport (n): môn thể thao thu hút nhiều khan giả
- Trend (n): xu hướng
- Coach (n): xe đò
- Depressed (adj): chán nản, phiền muộn
- Rest (v): nghỉ ngơi
- Spectacular (adj): ngoạn mục, hùng vĩ
- Giant (n): to lớn
- Solitude (n): sự biệt lập, cô độc
- Dirt bike (n): xe mô tô địa hình
- Wilderness (n): miền hoang dã
- Put up (v): dựng (lều)
- Pedestrian (n): khách bộ hành
Grammar:
  1. Conjunctions:
both….and…(cả….lẫn….)
not only … but also (không những …. mà còn….)
either … nor (hoặc … hoặc ….)
neither … nor (không … cũng không )
Ex1: Tom was late. So was Ann. (Tom đi trễ. Ann cũng vậy)
=> Both Tom and Ann were late. (cả Tom và Ann đều trễ)
Ex2: She is intelligent. She is also beautiful. (Cô ấy thông minh. Cô ấy còn xinh đẹp nữa)
=> She is not only intelligent but also beautiful. (cô ấy không những thông minh mà còn xinh đẹp)
Ex 3: You can take this book or that one, not two of them. (Bạn có thể lấy quyển sách này hoặc quyển kia, không lấy cả hai)
=> You can take either this book or that one. (Bạn có thể lấy hoặc quyển sách này hoặc quyển sách kia)
Ex 4: She didn’t write and she didn’t phone. (Cô ấy không viết thư cũng không gọi điện)
=> She neither wrote nor phoned. (Cô ấy không viết thư cũng không gọi điện)

1. Cleft sentences in the passive:
Xem lại phần Grammar (Cleft sentences) ở trang 11:
Ex1: Mr. Duy teaches English in Thong Linh High School.
=> It is English that is taught in Thong Linh High School by Mr. Duy.
Ex 2: They boy hit the dog in the garden.
= > It was the dog that was hit in the garden by the boy.
Exercise:
Exercise 1:

1. Tom doesn't lie to his friends. Paul doesn't either. (neither ... nor)
............................................................................................................................................................
2. He's betrayed your trust. He's betrayed your love for him. (not only ... but also)
............................................................................................................................................................
3. He felt disappointed. He felt misunderstood. (both ... and)
4. She will have to study hard. She will have to concentrate to do well on the exam. (not only ... but also)
5. We could fly. We could go by train. (both ... and)
6. The speaker will not confirm the story. The speaker will not deny the story. (neither ... nor)
7. Pneumonia is a dangerous disease. Small pox is a dangerous illness. (not only ... but also)
8. The teacher gaveNama good book.Nam’s parents gave him a good book. (both ... and)
9. Fred loves traveling. Jane wants to go around the world. (either ... or)
10. It might rain tomorrow. It might snow tomorrow. (both ... and)
11. Smoking isn't good for your heart. Drinking isn't good for your health. (neither ... nor)
12. Young people normally like only music but also sports. (both ... and)
13. The chickens haven’t been fed. The pigs haven’t been fed, either (neither ... nor)
14. Dan came fromThailandand Chow came fromThailand. (both ... and)
15. She carried me in her arms and she lulled me to sleep. (not only ... but also)
16. Mary went toLondonand Kate did, too. (both ... and)
17. You were mad. You were drunk. (either ... or)
18. My mother likes tea. And my father does, too. (both ... and)
19. Richard and John didn't keep her secret. (neither ... nor)
20. The underground is quick . It is also cheap. (not only ... but also)
21. You can find this book in the library or in a second-hand book shop (either ... or)
22. The boy is intelligent . He is hardworking, too. (both ... and)
23. He didn’t want coffee. He didn’t want tea, either. (neither ... nor)
24. Mary has both toothache and headache. (not only ... but also)
25. Helen likes cats. Mary likes cats. (both ... and)
26. You can take these tablets. You can also seek a doctor’s advice. (either ... or)
27. The thief stole my money. He also tore up my identify card. (not only ... but also)
28. He spoke French. He spoke German. (both ... and)
29. She should get a scholarship or she should work her way through medical school.(either...or)
..........................................................................................................................................................
30. I’m not happy and you aren’t either. (neither ... nor)
31. Jane owns a shop. She owns a restaurant, too. (both ... and)
32. She’s at the office. She’s at the airport. (either ... or)
33. It was a very boring film and it was very long too. (both ... and)
34. He doesn’t have pen. And he doesn’t have paper. (neither ... nor)
35. Tom is my older brother and Peter is, too. (both ... and)
36. Chris didn’t have time to take a holiday. Sheila didn’t have time to take a holiday. (neither ... nor)
37. Nam’s handsome.Nam’s intelligent. (not only ... but also )
38. Peter was a football player and his brother was, too. (both ... and)
39. David doesn’t play tennis. David doesn’t play table tennis. (neither ... nor)
40. Mai plays the guitar well. Mai dances beautifully. (not only ... but also)
41. You can have fish for dinner. You can have chicken for dinner. (both ... and)
42. They came late. They left early. (not only ... but also)
43. Goats provide milk for cheese. Goats provide wool for clothing. (both ... and)
44. Mr. Brown has read a novel by Charles Dickens and he has seen the film made from it. (not only ... but also)
45. She’s French. She’s Swiss. (either ... or)
46. She can enjoy a good meal and she can go fishing on the lake. (not only ... but also)
47. David can’t play tennis. David can’t play football. (neither ... nor)
48. Ali has studied not only in theUnited Statesbut also inEurope. (both ... and)
49. She’s tired. She’s hungry. (not only ... but also)
50. We can see the film tonight. We can see the film tomorrow night. (either ... or)
Exercise 2:
1. I don’t like this book . It is ______ interesting ______ cheap .
A. both – and B. either – or C. neither – nor D. not only – but also
2. Neither Linda nor I _____ classical music.
A. liking B. liked C. like D. likes
3. The baby is only two months old . He can ____ speak ____walk .
A. neither / nor B. either / or C. both / and D. not / nor
4. He _______ a teacher or a doctor .
A. is neither B. neither is C. is either D. either is
5. She is ______friendly _____intelligent so I can’t help admiring her .
A. not only / but also B. either / or C. both / and D. A&C are correct
6. John is very poor. He has ______ house ______ money.
7. ______ Linh ______ her sister like listening to pop music .
A.Both – and B. Either – or C. Neither – nor D. Not only – but also
8. Neither my friend nor I _____ that movie.
A. don’t like B. likes C. doesn’t like D. like
9. Who wrote you this love letter? - I'm not sure. I think it was ___ Michael ___ Paul.
10. ___ Linda ___ Helen called to say sorry. I'm very sad and frustrated.
A. Both – and B. Either – or C. Neither – nor D. Not only – but also
11. ___ Ryan ___ Susie have disappointed me. They didn't come to my birthday party.
12. He hurt ___ her feelings ___ her dignity. This is unforgivable.
13. ___ loyalty ___ honesty are essential in a friendship.
14. You should ___ disrespect ___ deceive your friends.
15. I will take you ___ to the cinema ___ to the theatre. That's a promise.
16. Neither my brother ________________ my mother knows about this.
A. both B. either C. and D. nor
17. I felt ________________ happy and sad at the same time.
A. both B. neither C. either D. not only
18. ________________ of the girls know how to dance. ( = Both girls are bad dancers)
A. too B. either C. neither D. nor
19. He ________________ has a cat or a dog. I can't remember.
20. Not only Lee but also his sons ___ chess very well.
A. plays B. has played C. is playing D. play
21. I'm thinking of traveling to either Argentina________________ Brazil.
A. or B. either C. neither D. nor
22. I left it ____ on the table ____ in the drawer.
A. either – nor B. neither – or C. either – or D. not only – but also
23. ____ the radio ____ the television works properly.
A. Neither – nor B. Neither – or C. Either – nor D. Not – nor
24. He ____ could not come ____ did not want to.
A. either – or B. neither – or C. either – nor D. not only – but also
25. Not ____ did she refuse to speak to him, but she also vowed never to see him again.
A. even B. only C. at all D. always
26. He neither drank ____ smoked, so he had good health.
A. nor B. or C. but D. also
27. Now women work both before ____ after having their children.
A. or B. also C. nor D. and
28. She ____ hard but also gets on well with her classmates.
A. doesn’t only study B. studies not only C. not only studies D. not studies only
29. Either you leave now ____!
A. I will also call the police B. but I will call the police
C. or will I call the police D. or I will call the police
30. Not only John but also his two brothers ____ football as their recreation every weekend.
A. play B. plays C. were playing D. has played
31. ____ Julia ____ her sister are going to the party.
A. Both - and B. Neither - nor C. Either - or D. Not only – but also
32. She feels very lonely because she has ____ husband ____ children.
A. both - and B. neither - nor C. either - or D. not only – but also
33. I love____ of my sisters equally!
A. both B. either C. neither D. nor
34. ____ me nor my brother like mushrooms.
A. Both B. Either C. Neither D. Or
35. I'm so lucky! I went to ____SpainandTenerifethis year!
A. both B. either C. neither D. or
36. Both his parents and he ____ here now.
A. are B. is C. was D. were
37. Either John or you ________________ responsible for the things that happened.
A. is B. was C. were D. has been
38. I hate that song, and my sister hates it ________________ .
39. I'm not a big fan of that writer, and ________________ is my father.
40. I’m going to bed early tonight. I’m too tired; I can’t watch movie on TV. - ____ can I.
A. Either B. Not C. So D. Neither
Exercise 3: Rewrite these sentenses with the same meaning and using the cleft sentences with underlined word:
1. My father usually complains about my students whenever they go to my house.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
2. I used to like climbing up tress and pick fruits.
3. My neighbors always make noise at night.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
4. We often complain about the noise at night.
5. You gave her a bunch of rose last week.
6. Our English teacher is the greatest teacher in the world.
7. The earthquake destroyed everything two years ago.
8. My recent computer helps me a lots in preparing tasks for my students.
9. My students’ bad behavior made me sad yesterday morning.
10. The man gave her the book.
11. The boy visited his uncle last month.
12. I and she sang together at the party.
13. Nam’s father got angry with him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
14. The boys played football all day long.
15. The girl received a letter from her friend yesterday.
16. His presence at the meeting frightened the children.
17. My mother bought me a present on my birthday party.
18. The neighbor told them about it.
19. My friend came to see me late last night.
---------------------------------------------------------------
20. That boy scored the goal for his team.
--------------------------------------------------------------
21. The dog grabbed at the piece of meat and ran away.
-----------------------------------------------
22. The strong wind blew the roof off.
------------------------------------------------------------------
23. My younger sister always keeps her doll carefully.
---------------------------------------------------
24. The boy hit the dog in the garden.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
25. The woman answered the man rudely.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
26. The boy played ping pong the whole afternoon.
------------------------------------------------------
27. The girl gave the boy a special gift on his birthday.
--------------------------------------------------
28. My wife gave this T-shirt to me on my last birthday party.
-----------------------------------------
29. I always keep your picture besides me.
----------------------------------------------------------------
30. We often gather for dinner in this restaurant.
31. The boy hit the dog in the garden.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
32. He bought the book from that corner shop.
------------------------------------------------------------------
33. She bought him a present at the shop.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
34. She makes some cakes for tea.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
35. His father repaired the bicycle for him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
36. The meeting started at 8.00 a.m.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
37. We all bought those things from Susu shop.
38. The pedestrian asked the policeman a lot of questions.
-------------------------------------------------
39. The dog barked at the stranger.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
40. My mom is making some cakes for our dinner.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Exercise 4: Choose the correct answer for each following sentence.
1. ______________ I bought the golden fish.
A. It was from this shop that
B. I was from this shop where
C. It was this shop which
D. It was this shop that
2. It was Tom _______ to help us.
A. comes
B. that comes
C. to come
D. who came
3. ____________ the police had rescued from the fire.
A. The baby
B. The baby that
C. It was the baby whom
D. It is the baby whom
4. _______________ my parents gave me the fish tank.
A. It was on my birthday when
B. It was my birthday on that
C. It was my birthday that
D. It was on my birthday that
5. __________ I first met my girlfriend.
A. It was in London that
B. It was in London where
C. It was London that
D. It was London which
6. ____________ on the phone.
A. It is his mother whom is
B. It was his mother whom is
C. It was his mother who is
D. It is his mother who is
7. ____________ a high level of blood cholesterol.
A. It is eggs that contain
B. Those are eggs it contains
C. It is eggs that contains
D. It is eggs contain
8. _______________ England won the World Cup.
A. It was in 1966 that
B. It was on 1966 that
C. It was in 1966 when
D. It was 1966 in that
9. __________________ we all look for.
A. That happiness
B. It is happiness that
C. Happiness it is that
D. Happiness it is
10. ________________ me how to play the drum.
A. It was my uncle who taught
B. My uncle who taught
C. It was my uncle taught
D. It is my uncle teaching
11. It is Mr Hung ___________ English at my school.
A. who taught
B. who teaches
C. that teaches
D. b & c are correct.
12. It was my dog __________ neighbors very scared.
A. that made
B. who made
C. which made
D. that making
13. It was me ______________ a lot of toys by my father.
A. that gave
B. that was given
C. that were given
D. who giving
14. It was ____________ he gave the whole confidential document.
A. his wife whom
B. her wife that
C. that his wife
D. whom his wife
15. It is the floor _________ by his wife every evening.
A. which cleaned
B. that cleaned
C. that were cleaned
D. that is cleaned
16. It was ___________ my father bought a new car.
A. that last Sunday
B. last Sunday that
C. last Sunday which
D. last Sunday when
17. _____________ she sent a postcard.
A. It is her friend that
B. It was her friend which
C. It was that her friend
D. It was her friend that
18. ____________ that we often gather for our study.
A. It is at her house
B. It is on her house
C. It is from her house
D. It was at her house
19. It was that singer ________ was given a lot of flowers.
A. which
B. who
D. whom
E. whose
20. _______________ you can kill computer viruses.
A. It is by using this software who
B. It is by using this software which
C. It is by using this software that
D. It is of using this software that

Reactions: phuongdaitt1
Top Bottom