Ngoại ngữ Topic Bồi dưỡng học sinh giỏi Tiếng Anh lớp 10

Chou Chou

Cựu Mod tiếng Anh
Thành viên
TV BQT được yêu thích nhất 2017
4 Tháng năm 2017
Phú Thọ
THPT Thanh Thủy
Cho em 2 đề luôn! :D:D (Cái này là chị sưu tầm :D)

SECTION TWO. PHONETICS (1pt)

Choose the word that has the underlined parts pronounced differently from the others.

1. A. parachute B. mechanic C. Christmas D. scheme

2. A. sound B. southern C. drought D. mountain

3. A. shadow B. vanish C. Danish D. Spanish

4. A. accident B. accurate C. accept D. success

5. A. exhibition B. exhaust C. exhibit D. exist

SECTION THREE. VOCABULARY & GRAMMAR (3.0 pts)

I- Choose the best option A,B,C, or D to complete each of the following sentences. Circle the letter before the word or phrase you choose.(2pts)

1. After arriving home, they usually ____________ their uniforms.

A. take out B. put out C. take off D. put off

2. Did you ask your father ___________ some money?

A. after B. for C. in D. at

3. He looked forward to ________ his first pay packet.

A. receive B. have received C. be receiving D. receiving

4. The weather was ___________ bad ___________ we couldn’t go out.

A. such/that B. too/that C. such a/that D. so/that

5. My dog as well as my cats ______________ twice a day.

A. eat B. eats C. has eaten D. have eaten

6.The teacher gave back the papers which ______ marked.

A. was B. has been C. had been D. have been

7. ______ the students in my class enjoy taking part in social activities.

A. Many B. Most C. Most of D. The number of

8. I can't make ________ what is happening.

A. away B. over C. out D. on

9. Who was the first American person ________ on the moon?

A. walking B. who walked C. walked D. to walk

10. Neither the students nor the teacher ________ come.

A. has B have C. is D. are

11. They live in a large ________ house on the edge of London.

A. detached B. single C. separated D. divided

12. If I were you, I........that job.

A. would apply for B. will ask for C. will have changed D. can take

13. He proved that the earth_______ round the sun.

A. had gone B. was going C. goes D. would go

14. His uncle’s son is very good _________ computer studies.

A. on B. in C. to D. at

15. When you see your friend off at the station, you say: “____________________!”

A. Lucky you B. Good night C. Have a good journey D. You’re welcome

16. She sent me the book which she ____________ many years before.

A. reads B. read C. have read D. had read

17. I wish you ____________ leave now. Can’t you stay a bit longer ?

A.don’t have to B. didn’t have to C. won’t have to D. hadn’t to

18. In _________ 27nd SEA Games, Vietnam won ____________ 73 gold medals.

A. Ø/ the B. the/ Ø C. a/ the D. the/ the

19. This ring is only made of plastic so it’s quite ____________ .

A. valuable B. invaluable C. worthless D. priceless

20. I enjoy doing things on my own, and I don’t need company ___________ the time.

A. all B. most C. much D. whole

II- Read the passage below and use the correct form of the words given. (1pt)

One of the major (1.ENVIRONMENT) ................... concerns in today’s world is the growing list of (2. DANGER) .................. plants, animals and birds. The (3.BIG) ................. threat of all to wildlife is, of course, man, who must take action now to prevent the (4.APPEAR) ................... of these species. Whales, tigers and elephants all (5.REQUIRING) ...................... greater protection as hunters threaten to drive them to extinction. (6.SIMILAR) ........................, more effective measures are suggested to stop (7.GLOBE) .................... warming, which has led to the (8. LOSE) ..................... of important natural habitats. Fish too, are increasingly at risk from high level of river and sea (9.POLLUTE) ....................., caused by oil spills and toxic effluent. Stricter government controls will help in the fight to save our wildlife and a greater public (10.AWARE) ........................ of the issues should be involved.

SECTION FOUR. READING (2.0 pts)

I- Choose the best option(A, B, C or D) that fits the blank space in the following passage. (1pt)

What is money? The pound, the dollar or the franc are actually just like a gram or a kilometre. The difference is that you can exchange money for something (1) ........ . A five pound note may buy a book, a huge bag of sweets, or a (2) ......... of cinema tickets. But the note itself is only a printed (3) ............. of paper which costs almost nothing to make.

Thousands of years (4) ........... people didn't have money as we know (5) ............... . There were no banks (6) ........... even shops. In those days, Mr. Green, the farmer exchanged the corn he (7) ........... grown for Mr. Hive's honey. This was an exchange arranged between the two (8) ..........., each of whom had something that the other wanted. But in time, most societies invented their own "currencies" (9) .......... that people could exchange more. The different currencies began to join together, which is why (10) .............. everyone uses a national currency.

1. A. other B. else C. another D. apart

2. A. couple B. double C. few D. several

3. A. slice B. part C. side D. piece

4. A. since B. past C. before D. ago

5. A. them B. it C. some D. that

6. A. or B. neither C. and D. but

7. A. did B. was C. had D. has

8. A. jobs B. people C. things D. goods

9. A. for B. by C. before D. so

10. A. tomorrow B. today C. recently D. soon

II- Read the text below and think of the word which best fits each space. Use only ONE word in each space. (1pt)

Speech is one of the most important (1) __________ of communicating. It consists of far more than just making noises. To talk and also to be (2) ___________ by other people, we have to speak a language, that is, we have to use combinations of (3) ___________ that everyone agrees stand for particular object or idea. Communication would be impossible if everyone made up their own language.

(4) ________ a language properly is very important. The basic (5) _________ of English is not very large, and only about 2000 words are needed to (6) _________ it quite well. But the more words you know, the more ideas you can (7) _________ and the more precise you can be about their exact meaning.

Words are the (8) ________ thing we use in communicating what we want to say. The (9) __________ we say the words is also important. Our tone of voice can express many motions and (10) _________ whether we are pleased or angry, for instance.

SECTION FIVE. WRITING (2.0 pts)

I- Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it means exactly the same as the sentence printed before it. (0.5pt)

1. I’m sure he was at home last night.

He ................................................................................................................................................

2. Nam’s parents were here last week and gave us a present.

Nam’s parents, ............................................................................................................................

3. Although Sue felt tired, she stayed up late talking to Jill.

Despite .........................................................................................................................................

4. It was a hot day so we had lunch outside in the garden.

It was such ....................................................................................................................................

5. I’ve been working for this company for ten years.

I started .........................................................................................................................................

II- Make one sentence from each group of sentences, beginning as shown. (0.5 pt)

1. I lent you a book. It was written by a friend of mine. She lives in France.

The book I .....................................................................................................................................

2. I used to own a dog. People came to the door. The dog never barked at them.

The dog..........................................................................................................................................

3. I bought my car from a woman. She lives in a house. You can see the house over there.

The woman I ..................................................................................................................................

4. My friend Bill has decided to buy a motor-bike. His car was stolen last week.

My friend Bill, ...............................................................................................................................

5. I bought a new car. It cost me a lot of money.

The new .........................................................................................................................................

III- Write a letter using the cues given. (1pt)

Dear Julia,

1/- I/ sorry/ it take/ so long/ reply/ letter.

...........................................................................................................................................................

2/- I/ just/ come back/ trip/ the north/ country.

............................................................................................................................................................

3/- You/ be pleased/ know/ I come/ London/ next weekend.

............................................................................................................................................................

4/- It seem/ long time/ since/ we last /see/ other.

5/- I/ like/ meet you/ and / go out/ together.

6/- I wonder/ you like/ go/ see/ film/ play.

7/- There/ be/ new Harrison Ford film/ New Century cinema.

8/- Perhaps/ can go/ meal/ drink/ afterwards.

9/- Give/ ring later/ week/ arrange/ more definite.

10/- I/ look forward/ hear/ you soon.

Love,

Mary

Chou Chou

Cựu Mod tiếng Anh
Thành viên
4 Tháng năm 2017
Phú Thọ
THPT Thanh Thủy

Vi Nguyen

Học sinh tiến bộ
Thành viên
26 Tháng tư 2017
Bình Định
THPT Chuyên Chu Văn An
SECTION 2: PHONETICS

III. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently. Write your answers in the space provided. (10 points)

1. A. notice B. post C. monument D. comb

2. A. river B. rivalry C. icon D. stripe

3. A. muscles B. needles C. routes D. wardens

4. A. sacred B. died C. naked D. wanted

5. A. catastrophe B. confidence C. recipe D. sesame

IV. Choose the word whose stress pattern is different from the other three of the group. Write your answers in the space provided. (10 points)

1. A. readable B. satisfy C. evidence D. distinguish

2. A. relationship B. deliberate C. customer D. equipment

3. A. participate B. literature C. intimate D. powerful

4. A. baggy B. chairman C. dumping D. severe

5. A. antonym B. consequence C. opponent D. lunatic

SECTION 3. LEXICO - GRAMMAR

V. Choose the correct answer to complete each of the following sentences. Write your answers in the space provided. (40 points)

1. Your parents must be proud of your result at school". - "_______"

A. Sorry to hear that. B. I am glad you like it.

C. Thanks. It's certainly encouraging. D. Of course

2. Is it necessary that I _____ here tomorrow?

A. am being B. will be C. be D. would be

3.When you use the Internet, you have so much information at your ______.

A. fingers B. hands C. thumbs D. fingertips

4. I read the contract again and again _______ avoiding making spelling mistakes

A. in terms of B. by means of C. with a view to D. in view of

5. Not until a monkey is several years old ________to exhibit signs of independence from its mother.

A. beginning B. does it begin C. and begin D. it begins

6. I must go to the dentist and ___________

A. get my teeth to take care of B. take care of my teeth

C. my teeth be taken care of D. get my teeth taken care of

7. He had travelled for 20 years and then he decided to return home.

A. farther away B. far and wide C. far from it D.farthest of all

8. “You should stop working too hard you’ll get sick.”

A. or else B. if C. in case D. whereas

9. He carried a(n) driving license.

A. artificial B. unfaithful C.untrue D. false

10. Despite playing under strength, the village team _____ beat the rivals.

A. could B. were able to C. couldn’t D. weren’t able to

11.The government has introduced _______.

A. a children’s clothes tax B. a tax on children clothes

C. a children clothes tax D. a tax on children’s clothes

12. ______, they slept soundly.

A. Hot though was the night air B. Hot though the night air was

C. Hot the night air as was D. Hot although the night air was

13. He suddenly saw Sue ____ the room. He pushed his way ____ the crowd of people to get to her.

A. across…through B. over…through

C. across…across D. over…along

14. Nobody likes his behaviour, ________?

A. do they B. don’t they C. does he D. doesn’t he

15. I like that photo very much. Could you make an _____ for me?

A. increase B. enlargement C. extension D. expansion

16. – “When are you planning to resign?”

- “By Christmas....................”

A. no later B. until lately

C. at the latest D. if not later

17. Please _____ your luggage and leave now. I can’t stand your presence any more.

A. throw off B. pack up C. fit in D. pile up

18. _______, he would have been able to pass the exam.

A. Studying more B. Had he studied more

C. If he studied more D. If he were studying more

19. Joe seemed to be in a good mood, ____ he snapped at me angrily when I asked him to join us.

A. yet B. for C. and D. so

20. I had to pay through the nose to get my car repaired at a service station in the middle of the desert.

A. spend less money than usual B. pay too much for something

C. make a lot of money D. cost a lot of money

VI. There is one mistake in each sentence. Identify the mistake and write your correction in the space provided. (10 points)

1. Humus, a substance found in soil, is soft and spongy and enables plant roots to send out tiny hair through that they absorb water and food.

2. From the monitoring of earthquake waves it is evidence that the Earth’s outer core is liquid, whereas the inner one is solid.

3. People tend to make a lot of shopping at Xmas time.

4. Stuart stopped to write his letter because he had to leave for the hospital.
5. A fully grown male mountain lion may be eight long feet.

VII. Supply the correct form of the words in bracket. Write your answers in the space provided. (10 points)

1. She supports her theory with......copied................evidence. (COPY)

2. Will it ever be possible for the human race to reach the extreme......boundary....... of the universe? (BOUND)

3. He says he had no intention of hurting me, but I am sure he hit me..... ..... (PURPOSE)

4. Safety tests on old cars have been............standardized................... throughout Europe. (STANDARD)

5. The teacher warned the children that if they......behaved..........again, they would be punished. (BEHAVE)

VIII. Supply the correct form and tense of the verbs in brackets (10 points)

1. We would like (invite) ...to invite.... to the president’s reception, but we weren’t.

2. Did you know that Oscar Wilde (live) .....had been living..... in Paris during his final years?

3. There was no sign indicating that the cottage (break) ....was broken...... into.

4. Without their valuable assistance we (never, gather) ...wouldn't never gather........ enough money for our son’s operation.

5. By the time I go to bed tonight, I (write) ..will have written........ more than ten pages of the novel.

SECTION 4. READING

IX. Exercise 1: Read the passage and choose the best option to complete the passage (20 points)
Why is it that many teenagers have the energy to play computer games until late at night but can’t find the energy to get out of bed (1) ________ for school? According to a new report, today’s generation of children are in danger of getting so (2)_______ sleep that they are putting their mental and physical health at (3)_______. Adults can easily survive on seven to eight hours’ sleep a night, (4)_______teenagers require nine or ten hours. According to medical experts, one in five youngsters (5)________ anything between two and five hours’ sleep a night less than their parents did at their age.

This (6) _____ serious questions about whether lack of sleep is affecting children’s ability to concentrate at school. The connection between sleep deprivation and lapses in memory, impaired reaction time and poor concentration is well (7) _______. Research has shown that losing as little as half an hour’s sleep a night can have profound effects (8) ______how children perform the next day. A good night’s sleep is also crucial for teenagers because it is while they are asleep (9)______ they release a hormone that is essential for their ‘growth spurt’ (the period during teenage years when the body grows at a rapid rate). It’s true that they can, to some (10) ______, catch up on sleep at weekends, but that won’t help them when they are dropping off to sleep in class on a Friday afternoon.

1. A. behind time B. about time C.in time D. at time

2. A. few B. less C. much D. little

3. A. jeopardy B. threat C. risk D. danger

4. A. or B. because C. whereas D. so

5. A. puts B. gets C. brings D. makes

6. A. raises B. rises C. results D. comes

7. A. organized B. arranged C. established D. acquired

8. A. in B. on C. to D. at

9. A. at which B. which C. where D. that

10. A. rate B. extent C. level D. point

X. Exercise 2: Read the following passage and choose the best answer to each question. (10 points)

Universally acclaimed as America’s greatest playwright, Eugene O’Neill was born in 1888 in the heart of the theater district in New York City. As the son of an actor he had early exposure to the world of the theater. He attended Princeton University briefly in 1906, but returned to New York to work in a variety of jobs before joining the crew of a freighter as a seaman. Upon returning from voyages to South Africa and South America, he was hospitalized for six months to recuperate from tuberculosis. While he was recovering, he determined to write a play about his adventures on the sea. He went to Harvard, where he wrote the one-act Bound East for Cardiff. It was produced on Cape Cod by the Provincetown Players, an experimental theater group that was later to settle in the famous Greenwich Village theater district in New York City. The Players produced several more of his one-acts in the years between 1916-1920. With the full-length play Beyond the Horizon, produced on Broadway in 1920, O’Neill’s success was assured. The play won the Pulitzer prize for the best play of the year. O’Neill was to be awarded the prize again in 1922, 1928, and 1957 for Anna Christie, Strange Interlude, and Long Day’s Journey Into Night. Although he didn’t receive the Pulitzer prize for it, Mourning becomes Electra, produced in 1931,is arguably his most lasting contribution to the American theatre. In 1936, he was awarded the Nobel Prize.

O’Neill’s plays, forty-five in all, cover a wide range of dramatic subjects, but several themes emerge, including the ambivalence of family relationships, the struggle between the sexes, the conflict between spiritual and material desires, and the vision of modern man as a victim of uncontrollable circumstances. Most of O’Neill’s characters are seeking for meaning in their lives. According to his biographers, most of the characters were portraits of himself and his family. In a sense, his work chronicled his life.

1. How many times was O’Neill awarded the Pulitzer Prize?

A. Five B. Three C. Four D. One

2. The word “briefly” in paragraph 1 is closest in meaning to__________.

A. without enthusiasm B. on scholarship

C. seriously D. for a short time

3. What does the author mean by the statement in paragraph 2: “According to his biographers, most of the characters were portraits of himself and his family. In a sense, his work chronicled his life”?

A. His biographers took pictures of him with his family.

B. His biography contained stories about him and his family.

C. He had paintings of himself and members of his family.

D. He used his family and his own experiences in his plays.

4. The author mentions all of the following as themes for O’Neill’s plays EXCEPT__________.

A. adventures at sea B. life in college

C. relationships between men and women D. family life

5. We can infer from information in the passage that O’Neill’s plays were not __________.

A. autobiographical B. controversial

C. popular D. optimistic

XI. Exercise 3: Gap-filling. Fill in each numbered blank with ONE suitable word. (20 points)

Every culture has its own unwritten list of behavior that is acceptable. Every society .....(1)..... has its taboos, or types of behavior that are considered the violation of .....(2) ..... manners. If you travel to .....(3) ...another.. country, on business or vacation, it is really helpful to learn some of that country's customs so that you needn't insult .....(4) ....with. local people there.

The word “taboo” comes .....from(5)..... the Tongan language and it is used in modern English to describe .....(6)...as. and non-verbal behavior that is forbidden .....(7)..... to be avoided. In spite of people's common thought, .....(8)....there. are not universal and they tend to be specific to certain .....(9)..... or country, and usually form around a community’s values and beliefs. Therefore, .......(10)...... is considered acceptable behavior in one country may be a serious taboo in another.

SECTION 5. WRITING

XII. Sentence transformation (20 points)

Complete the second sentence, using the word given in bold. Do not change the word given. You must use between three and six words, including the word given. There is an example at the beginning (0). Write only the missing words in the space provided.

0. I last saw him at my 21st birthday party. since

I……haven’t seen him since ..... my 21st birthday party.

1. I don’t usually make such foolish mistakes. habit

I’m...not .........in habit of ......................making............................................... such foolish mistakes.

2. I’m not sure which year saw the abolition of capital punishment in this country. did

I’m not sure when they..................................................................... capital punishment in this country.

3. Of all the cities I know, there are few that are more beautiful than St. Petersburg. loveliest

St. Petersburg is one ......................of the loveliest cities where I have......................................................visited.

4. Most medical students study for their degrees until they are 25. graduate

Most medical students......graduate ......................................................... of 25.

5. I really don’t want to tidy my room right now. feel

I really don’t........feel like tidying.................................................my room right now.

6. Please don’t leave the building because we might need to speak to you again. case

Please don’t leave the building.......in case ................we....might need..........................to speak to you again.

7. My elder sister likes to look after small children. care

My elder sister enjoys......taking care of.............................................small children.

8. The meeting probably won’t last more than a few minutes. likely

The meeting.........won't be likely to go.................................................... on for more than a few minutes.

9. Last night the theater was almost empty. anybody

Last night....almost anybody ................wasn't at............................................ the theater.

10. I can’t promise that you will get the job. guarantee

There................................................................will get the job.

XIII. Sentence building. (20 points)

Complete the letter using the words given. Make all the changes and additions if necessary.

Dear John,

1. last letter / you / kindly offer / put / me / your flat / I / be / Berlin.

2. I/ be / afraid / I / unable / take / offer / time being.

3. My father / so sick / I / to stay / home / care / him.

4. He / very sick / I cannot / him / alone.

5. My brother / also / help / look / Dad / but / he / now / away / business trip / Paris.

6. I / hope / be able / come / Berlin / later / end / year, / perhaps / January.

7. If / room / free / I / glad / stay / you.

8. I / let / know / plan / soon / possible / order / not interfere / own plan.

9. Thank / much / again / offer.

10. I / not / wait / see / you / Berlin .

With love,

Maria.

@Vi Nguyen @tienganh220403@gmail.com Em xem thêm mấy đề chị sưu tầm nhé! :D:D
de ở phú thọ lên ko được chị ơi

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chou Chou

Chou Chou

Cựu Mod tiếng Anh
Thành viên
4 Tháng năm 2017
Phú Thọ
THPT Thanh Thủy
de ở phú thọ lên ko được chị ơi
em tải về nhé! :D:D

-------------------------------------------------

SECTION 2: PHONETICS

III. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently. Write your answers in the space provided. (10 points)

1. A. notice B. post C. monument D. comb

2. A. river B. rivalry C. icon D. stripe

3. A. muscles B. needles C. routes D. wardens

4. A. sacred B. died C. naked D. wanted

5. A. catastrophe B. confidence C. recipe D. sesame

IV. Choose the word whose stress pattern is different from the other three of the group. Write your answers in the space provided. (10 points)

1. A. readable B. satisfy C. evidence D. distinguish

2. A. relationship B. deliberate C. customer D. equipment

3. A. participate B. literature C. intimate D. powerful

4. A. baggy B. chairman C. dumping D. severe

5. A. antonym B. consequence C. opponent D. lunatic

SECTION 3. LEXICO - GRAMMAR

V. Choose the correct answer to complete each of the following sentences. Write your answers in the space provided. (40 points)

1. Your parents must be proud of your result at school". - "_______"

A. Sorry to hear that. B. I am glad you like it.

C. Thanks. It's certainly encouraging. D. Of course

2. Is it necessary that I _____ here tomorrow?

A. am being B. will be C. be D. would be

3.When you use the Internet, you have so much information at your ______.

A. fingers B. hands C. thumbs D. fingertips
have sth at one's fingertips: biết rõ như lòng bàn tay

4. I read the contract again and again _______ avoiding making spelling mistakes

A. in terms of B. by means of C. with a view to D. in view of

5. Not until a monkey is several years old ________to exhibit signs of independence from its mother.

A. beginning B. does it begin C. and begin D. it begins

6. I must go to the dentist and ___________

A. get my teeth to take care of B. take care of my teeth

C. my teeth be taken care of D. get my teeth taken care of

7. He had travelled for 20 years and then he decided to return home.

A. farther away B. far and wide C. far from it D.farthest of all
far and wide: khắp nơi

8. “You should stop working too hard you’ll get sick.”

A. or else B. if C. in case D. whereas

9. He carried a(n) driving license.

A. artificial: nhân tạo B. unfaithful C.untrue D. false: giả

10. Despite playing under strength, the village team _____ beat the rivals.

A. could B. were able to C. couldn’t D. weren’t able to
Xem cách phân biệt BE ABLE TO và CAN tại đây

11.The government has introduced _______.

A. a children’s clothes tax B. a tax on children clothes

C. a children clothes tax D. a tax on children’s clothes
a tax on sth: đánh thuế vào cái gì

12. ______, they slept soundly.

A. Hot though was the night air B. Hot though the night air was

C. Hot the night air as was D. Hot although the night air was

13. He suddenly saw Sue ____ the room. He pushed his way ____ the crowd of people to get to her.

A. across…through B. over…through

C. across…across D. over…along
across the room: qua căn phòng
push sth through: làm cho việc gì chóng được hoàn thành

14. Nobody likes his behaviour, ________?

A. do they B. don’t they C. does he D. doesn’t he

15. I like that photo very much. Could you make an _____ for me?

A. increase B. enlargement (n): bức ảnh phóng to C. extension D. expansion

16. – “When are you planning to resign?”

- “By Christmas....................”

A. no later B. until lately

C. at the latest D. if not later

17. Please _____ your luggage and leave now. I can’t stand your presence any more.

A. throw off B. pack up C. fit in D. pile up

18. _______, he would have been able to pass the exam.

A. Studying more B. Had he studied more

C. If he studied more D. If he were studying more

19. Joe seemed to be in a good mood, ____ he snapped at me angrily when I asked him to join us.

A. yet B. for C. and D. so

20. I had to pay through the nose to get my car repaired at a service station in the middle of the desert.

A. spend less money than usual B. pay too much for something

C. make a lot of money D. cost a lot of money

VI. There is one mistake in each sentence. Identify the mistake and write your correction in the space provided. (10 points)

1. Humus, a substance found in soil, is soft and spongy and enables plant roots to send out tiny hair through that -> which they absorb water and food.

2. From the monitoring of earthquake waves it is evidence -> evident that the Earth’s outer core is liquid, whereas the inner one is solid.

3. People tend to make -> do a lot of shopping at Xmas time.

4. Stuart stopped to write -> writing his letter because he had to leave for the hospital.

5. A fully grown male mountain lion may be eight long feet -> feet long.

VII. Supply the correct form of the words in bracket. Write your answers in the space provided. (10 points)

1. She supports her theory with......copied ................evidence. (COPY) copious (adj): phong phú

2. Will it ever be possible for the human race to reach the extreme......boundary....... of the universe? (BOUND) boundaries

3. He says he had no intention of hurting me, but I am sure he hit me.....purposefully ..... (PURPOSE)

4. Safety tests on old cars have been............standardized................... throughout Europe. (STANDARD)

5. The teacher warned the children that if they......behaved..........again, they would be punished. (BEHAVE) misbehaved

VIII. Supply the correct form and tense of the verbs in brackets (10 points)

1. We would like (invite) ...to invite.... to the president’s reception, but we weren’t. to have been invited

2. Did you know that Oscar Wilde (live) .....had been living..... in Paris during his final years? lived

3. There was no sign indicating that the cottage (break) ....was broken...... into. had been broken

4. Without their valuable assistance we (never, gather) ...wouldn't never gather........ enough money for our son’s operation. would have never gathered

5. By the time I go to bed tonight, I (write) ..will have written........ more than ten pages of the novel.

SECTION 4. READING

IX. Exercise 1: Read the passage and choose the best option to complete the passage (20 points)
Why is it that many teenagers have the energy to play computer games until late at night but can’t find the energy to get out of bed (1) ________ for school? According to a new report, today’s generation of children are in danger of getting so (2)_______ sleep that they are putting their mental and physical health at (3)_______. Adults can easily survive on seven to eight hours’ sleep a night, (4)_______teenagers require nine or ten hours. According to medical experts, one in five youngsters (5)________ anything between two and five hours’ sleep a night less than their parents did at their age.

This (6) _____ serious questions about whether lack of sleep is affecting children’s ability to concentrate at school. The connection between sleep deprivation and lapses in memory, impaired reaction time and poor concentration is well (7) _______. Research has shown that losing as little as half an hour’s sleep a night can have profound effects (8) ______how children perform the next day. A good night’s sleep is also crucial for teenagers because it is while they are asleep (9)______ they release a hormone that is essential for their ‘growth spurt’ (the period during teenage years when the body grows at a rapid rate). It’s true that they can, to some (10) ______, catch up on sleep at weekends, but that won’t help them when they are dropping off to sleep in class on a Friday afternoon.

1. A. behind time B. about time C.in time D. at time

2. A. few B. less C. much D. little

3. A. jeopardy B. threat C. risk D. danger

4. A. or B. because C. whereas D. so

5. A. puts B. gets C. brings D. makes

6. A. raises B. rises C. results D. comes

7. A. organized B. arranged C. established D. acquired

8. A. in B. on C. to D. at

9. A. at which B. which C. where D. that

10. A. rate B. extent C. level D. point

X. Exercise 2: Read the following passage and choose the best answer to each question. (10 points)

Universally acclaimed as America’s greatest playwright, Eugene O’Neill was born in 1888 in the heart of the theater district in New York City. As the son of an actor he had early exposure to the world of the theater. He attended Princeton University briefly in 1906, but returned to New York to work in a variety of jobs before joining the crew of a freighter as a seaman. Upon returning from voyages to South Africa and South America, he was hospitalized for six months to recuperate from tuberculosis. While he was recovering, he determined to write a play about his adventures on the sea. He went to Harvard, where he wrote the one-act Bound East for Cardiff. It was produced on Cape Cod by the Provincetown Players, an experimental theater group that was later to settle in the famous Greenwich Village theater district in New York City. The Players produced several more of his one-acts in the years between 1916-1920. With the full-length play Beyond the Horizon, produced on Broadway in 1920, O’Neill’s success was assured. The play won the Pulitzer prize for the best play of the year. O’Neill was to be awarded the prize again in 1922, 1928, and 1957 for Anna Christie, Strange Interlude, and Long Day’s Journey Into Night. Although he didn’t receive the Pulitzer prize for it, Mourning becomes Electra, produced in 1931,is arguably his most lasting contribution to the American theatre. In 1936, he was awarded the Nobel Prize.

O’Neill’s plays, forty-five in all, cover a wide range of dramatic subjects, but several themes emerge, including the ambivalence of family relationships, the struggle between the sexes, the conflict between spiritual and material desires, and the vision of modern man as a victim of uncontrollable circumstances. Most of O’Neill’s characters are seeking for meaning in their lives. According to his biographers, most of the characters were portraits of himself and his family. In a sense, his work chronicled his life.

1. How many times was O’Neill awarded the Pulitzer Prize?

A. Five B. Three C. Four (năm 1920, 1922, 1928, 1957) D. One

2. The word “briefly” in paragraph 1 is closest in meaning to__________.

A. without enthusiasm B. on scholarship

C. seriously D. for a short time

3. What does the author mean by the statement in paragraph 2: “According to his biographers, most of the characters were portraits of himself and his family. In a sense, his work chronicled his life”?

A. His biographers took pictures of him with his family.

B. His biography contained stories about him and his family.

C. He had paintings of himself and members of his family.

D. He used his family and his own experiences in his plays.

4. The author mentions all of the following as themes for O’Neill’s plays EXCEPT__________. (dẫn chứng: đoạn 2)

A. adventures at sea B. life in college

C. relationships between men and women D. family life

5. We can infer from information in the passage that O’Neill’s plays were not __________.

A. autobiographical B. controversial

C. popular D. optimistic

XI. Exercise 3: Gap-filling. Fill in each numbered blank with ONE suitable word. (20 points)

Every culture has its own unwritten list of behavior that is acceptable. Every society .....(1) also..... has its taboos, or types of behavior that are considered the violation of .....(2) good..... manners. If you travel to .....(3) ...another.. country, on business or vacation, it is really helpful to learn some of that country's customs so that you needn't insult .....(4) the....with. local people there.

The word “taboo” comes .....from(5)..... the Tongan language and it is used in modern English to describe ....verbal.(6)...as. and non-verbal behavior that is forbidden .....(7).or.... to be avoided. In spite of people's common thought, .....(8)..taboos..there. are not universal and they tend to be specific to certain .....(9)..culture... or country, and usually form around a community’s values and beliefs. Therefore, .......(10).what..... is considered acceptable behavior in one country may be a serious taboo in another.

SECTION 5. WRITING

XII. Sentence transformation (20 points)

Complete the second sentence, using the word given in bold. Do not change the word given. You must use between three and six words, including the word given. There is an example at the beginning (0). Write only the missing words in the space provided.

0. I last saw him at my 21st birthday party. since

I……haven’t seen him since ..... my 21st birthday party.

1. I don’t usually make such foolish mistakes. habit

I’m...not in the habit of making............................................... such foolish mistakes.
be in the habit of doing sth: có thói quen làm gì

2. I’m not sure which year saw the abolition of capital punishment in this country. did

I’m not sure when they..........................did away with........... capital punishment in this country.
do away with sth: bãi bỏ, hủy bỏ

3. Of all the cities I know, there are few that are more beautiful than St. Petersburg. loveliest

St. Petersburg is one ......................of the loveliest cities where I have......................................................visited.

4. Most medical students study for their degrees until they are 25. graduate

Most medical students......do not graduate until the age......................................................... of 25.

5. I really don’t want to tidy my room right now. feel

I really don’t........feel like tidying.................................................my room right now.

6. Please don’t leave the building because we might need to speak to you again. case

Please don’t leave the building.......in case we might need/ have..........................to speak to you again.

7. My elder sister likes to look after small children. care

My elder sister enjoys......taking care of.............................................small children.

8. The meeting probably won’t last more than a few minutes. likely

The meeting.........won't be is unlikely to go.................................................... on for more than a few minutes.

9. Last night the theater was almost empty. anybody

Last night....almost anybody wasn't at...there was hardly anybody at/ in............. the theater.

10. I can’t promise that you will get the job. guarantee

There.............................is no guarantee that you...................................will get the job.

XIII. Sentence building. (20 points)

Complete the letter using the words given. Make all the changes and additions if necessary.

Dear John,

1. In your last letter, you kindly offered to put me in your flat while/ when I am in Berlin.

2. I am afraid (that) I am unable to take your offer for the time being.

3. My father is so sick that I have to stay (at) home to take care of him.

4. He is very sick, so I can not leave him alone.

5. My brother also helped (to) look after (my) Dad, but he is now away on his/ a business trip in Paris.

6. I hope to be/(that) I will be able to come to Berlin later by/ at the end of this year, or perhaps in January.

7. If the/your room is free, I am/would be glad to stay with you.

8. I will let you know my plan as soon as possible in order not to interfere with your own plan.

9. Thank you very much again for your/ the offer.

10. I can not wait to see you in Berlin.

With love,

Maria.

Màu đỏ là em làm sai hoặc thừa, màu xanh là đáp án, câu nào không sửa gì thì là em làm đúng
@Vi Nguyen @tienganh220403@gmail.com @Một Nửa Của Sự Thật

Vi Nguyen

Học sinh tiến bộ
Thành viên
26 Tháng tư 2017
Bình Định
THPT Chuyên Chu Văn An
1/we all believe that the survival girl __better then
chọn ''be'' là vì sao zậy chị
2/computer are products made for ''to use'' in almost all offices nowadays
3/The pop group ______ for photographs with their fans.
a.set
b.joined
c.posed
d.afforded

Last edited:

Chou Chou

Cựu Mod tiếng Anh
Thành viên
4 Tháng năm 2017
Phú Thọ
THPT Thanh Thủy
1/ we all believe that the survival girl __better then
chọn "be" vì có thể lược bỏ "will" hoặc "can" :D
2/computer are products made for ''to use'' in almost all offices nowadays
upload_2017-11-20_20-24-13.png
3/The pop group ______ for photographs with their fans.
a.set
b.joined
c.posed: đặt, ngồi, đứng ở 1 tư thế nào đó (để chụp ảnh, làm mẫu vẽ)
d.afforded
@TajSaker @khuattuanmeo

Vi Nguyen

Học sinh tiến bộ
Thành viên
26 Tháng tư 2017
Bình Định
THPT Chuyên Chu Văn An
Cho em 2 đề luôn! :D:D (Cái này là chị sưu tầm :D)

SECTION TWO. PHONETICS (1pt)

Choose the word that has the underlined parts pronounced differently from the others.

1. A. parachute B. mechanic C. Christmas D. scheme

2. A. sound B. southern C. drought D. mountain

3. A. shadow B. vanish C. Danish D. Spanish

4. A. accident B. accurate C. accept D. success

5. A. exhibition B. exhaust C. exhibit D. exist

SECTION THREE. VOCABULARY & GRAMMAR (3.0 pts)

I- Choose the best option A,B,C, or D to complete each of the following sentences. Circle the letter before the word or phrase you choose.(2pts)

1. After arriving home, they usually ____________ their uniforms.

A. take out B. put out C. take off D. put off

2. Did you ask your father ___________ some money?

A. after B. for C. in D. at

3. He looked forward to ________ his first pay packet.

A. receive B. have received C. be receiving D. receiving

4. The weather was ___________ bad ___________ we couldn’t go out.

A. such/that B. too/that C. such a/that D. so/that

5. My dog as well as my cats ______________ twice a day.

A. eat B. eats C. has eaten D. have eaten

6.The teacher gave back the papers which ______ marked.

A. was B. has been C. had been D. have been

7. ______ the students in my class enjoy taking part in social activities.

A. Many B. Most C. Most of D. The number of

8. I can't make ________ what is happening.

A. away B. over C. out D. on

9. Who was the first American person ________ on the moon?

A. walking B. who walked C. walked D. to walk

10. Neither the students nor the teacher ________ come.

A. has B have C. is D. are

11. They live in a large ________ house on the edge of London.

A. detached B. single C. separated D. divided

12. If I were you, I........that job.

A. would apply for B. will ask for C. will have changed D. can take

13. He proved that the earth_______ round the sun.

A. had gone B. was going C. goes D. would go

14. His uncle’s son is very good _________ computer studies.

A. on B. in C. to D. at

15. When you see your friend off at the station, you say: “____________________!”

A. Lucky you B. Good night C. Have a good journey D. You’re welcome

16. She sent me the book which she ____________ many years before.

A. reads B. read C. have read D. had read

17. I wish you ____________ leave now. Can’t you stay a bit longer ?

A.don’t have to B. didn’t have to C. won’t have to D. hadn’t to

18. In _________ 27nd SEA Games, Vietnam won ____________ 73 gold medals.

A. Ø/ the B. the/ Ø C. a/ the D. the/ the

19. This ring is only made of plastic so it’s quite ____________ .

A. valuable B. invaluable C. worthless D. priceless

20. I enjoy doing things on my own, and I don’t need company ___________ the time.

A. all B. most C. much D. whole

II- Read the passage below and use the correct form of the words given. (1pt)

One of the major (1.ENVIRONMENT) ...environmental................ concerns in today’s world is the growing list of (2. DANGER) ......endangered............ plants, animals and birds. The (3.BIG) ......biggest........... threat of all to wildlife is, of course, man, who must take action now to prevent the (4.APPEAR) ........disappearance........... of these species. Whales, tigers and elephants all (5.REQUIRING) .requisite..................... greater protection as hunters threaten to drive them to extinction. (6.SIMILAR) .....unsimilarly..................., more effective measures are suggested to stop (7.GLOBE) .....global............... warming, which has led to the (8. LOSE) ......lost............... of important natural habitats. Fish too, are increasingly at risk from high level of river and sea (9.POLLUTE) .............pollution........, caused by oil spills and toxic effluent. Stricter government controls will help in the fight to save our wildlife and a greater public (10.AWARE) . awaring...................... of the issues should be involved.

SECTION FOUR. READING (2.0 pts)

I- Choose the best option(A, B, C or D) that fits the blank space in the following passage. (1pt)

What is money? The pound, the dollar or the franc are actually just like a gram or a kilometre. The difference is that you can exchange money for something (1) ........ . A five pound note may buy a book, a huge bag of sweets, or a (2) ......... of cinema tickets. But the note itself is only a printed (3) ............. of paper which costs almost nothing to make.

Thousands of years (4) ........... people didn't have money as we know (5) ............... . There were no banks (6) ........... even shops. In those days, Mr. Green, the farmer exchanged the corn he (7) ........... grown for Mr. Hive's honey. This was an exchange arranged between the two (8) ..........., each of whom had something that the other wanted. But in time, most societies invented their own "currencies" (9) .......... that people could exchange more. The different currencies began to join together, which is why (10) .............. everyone uses a national currency.

1. A. other B. else C. another D. apart

2. A. couple B. double C. few D. several

3. A. slice B. part C. side D. piece

4. A. since B. past C. before D. ago

5. A. them B. it C. some D. that

6. A. or B. neither C. and D. but

7. A. did B. was C. had D. has

8. A. jobs B. people C. things D. goods

9. A. for B. by C. before D. so

10. A. tomorrow B. today C. recently D. soon

II- Read the text below and think of the word which best fits each space. Use only ONE word in each space. (1pt)

Speech is one of the most important (1) ____transport______ of communicating. It consists of far more than just making noises. To talk and also to be (2) _____communicated______ by other people, we have to speak a language, that is, we have to use combinations of (3) _____languages______ that everyone agrees stand for particular object or idea. Communication would be impossible if everyone made up their own language.

(4) ___speaking_____ a language properly is very important. The basic (5) __use_______ of English is not very large, and only about 2000 words are needed to (6) ____say_____ it quite well. But the more words you know, the more ideas you can (7) _________ and the more precise you can be about their exact meaning.

Words are the (8) ____only____ thing we use in communicating what we want to say. The (9) __voice________ we say the words is also important. Our tone of voice can express many motions and (10) _________ whether we are pleased or angry, for instance.

SECTION FIVE. WRITING (2.0 pts)

I- Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it means exactly the same as the sentence printed before it. (0.5pt)

1. I’m sure he was at home last night.

He .........must have been at home last night.......................................................................................................................................

2. Nam’s parents were here last week and gave us a present.

Nam’s parents, ..who gave us a present ,were here last week......................................................................................................................

3. Although Sue felt tired, she stayed up late talking to Jill.

Despite ........sue's tiredness.................................................................................................................................

4. It was a hot day so we had lunch outside in the garden.

It was such .........a hot day that...........................................................................................................................

5. I’ve been working for this company for ten years.

I started ......working for ___ ten years ago...................................................................................................................................

II- Make one sentence from each group of sentences, beginning as shown. (0.5 pt)

1. I lent you a book. It was written by a friend of mine. She lives in France.

The book I .....................................................................................................................................

2. I used to own a dog. People came to the door. The dog never barked at them.

The dog..........................................................................................................................................

3. I bought my car from a woman. She lives in a house. You can see the house over there.

The woman I ..................................................................................................................................

4. My friend Bill has decided to buy a motor-bike. His car was stolen last week.

My friend Bill, ...............................................................................................................................

5. I bought a new car. It cost me a lot of money.

The new ...car which I bought costs a lot of money......................................................................................................................................

III- Write a letter using the cues given. (1pt)

Dear Julia,

1/- I/ sorry/ it take/ so long/ reply/ letter.

...........................................................................................................................................................

2/- I/ just/ come back/ trip/ the north/ country.

3/- You/ be pleased/ know/ I come/ London/ next weekend.

4/- It seem/ long time/ since/ we last /see/ other.

5/- I/ like/ meet you/ and / go out/ together.

6/- I wonder/ you like/ go/ see/ film/ play.

7/- There/ be/ new Harrison Ford film/ New Century cinema.

8/- Perhaps/ can go/ meal/ drink/ afterwards.

9/- Give/ ring later/ week/ arrange/ more definite.

10/- I/ look forward/ hear/ you soon.

Love,

Mary

cho em them vai de nua nhe

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom